Return to Baseball Leftovers

How good is Melky?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: How good is Melky?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:00 pm

chipper wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:I have nothing against Melky Cabrera, but top 20 OF next year for him is a bit of a reach IMHO. I see him more as a .280 than a .300 hitter. His HR total probably will top around 15. I would take Cuddyer easily over Cabrera next year and I don't even like Cuddyer all that much.

Over the last month, he has "out pointed" guys like Carlos Lee, Matt Holliday, Ichiro, etc.....by ALOT.
So while top 20 next year really isn't realistic, Melky is a solid fantasy option, a solid real life option, and to me, more valuable than a guy like Cuddyer.

Also, Melky has batted 9th most of the year. If next year he takes the leadoff spot for good, it gives yet another boost to his value.

Over his first month in the majors, Mark Reynolds hit over .400 with 5 HR. Sure, player show signs of brilliance. But Melky would be more solid rather than spectacular. He's a nice guy to have as your 3rd OF, if the expectation is any higher, you are just in for a let down. OF that hits around 15HR a year isn't that valuable.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby talan37 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 pm

Honestly, I am not even convinced he will crack top 30 next year let alone top 20. Hes a small guy with little power, so-so speed, who won't hit for a particularly high average.(.294 career minor leagues, .284 career major leagues). Despite his recent hot streak, hes still outside of even the top 40 this year.

I believe he is an above average fielding centerfielder and a solid real life player, but fantasy-wise in a 12 team league hes really not all that hot of a commodity in my opinion.

In addition, as long as the yanks still have guys like abreu, damon, giambi, matsui he will probably not get a full-seasons worth of at bats.(I don't know when any of these guys contracts expire).

Honestly I just don't see a lot of upside hitting wise.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more.
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby chipper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
chipper wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:I have nothing against Melky Cabrera, but top 20 OF next year for him is a bit of a reach IMHO. I see him more as a .280 than a .300 hitter. His HR total probably will top around 15. I would take Cuddyer easily over Cabrera next year and I don't even like Cuddyer all that much.

Over the last month, he has "out pointed" guys like Carlos Lee, Matt Holliday, Ichiro, etc.....by ALOT.
So while top 20 next year really isn't realistic, Melky is a solid fantasy option, a solid real life option, and to me, more valuable than a guy like Cuddyer.

Also, Melky has batted 9th most of the year. If next year he takes the leadoff spot for good, it gives yet another boost to his value.

Over his first month in the majors, Mark Reynolds hit over .400 with 5 HR. Sure, player show signs of brilliance. But Melky would be more solid rather than spectacular. He's a nice guy to have as your 3rd OF, if the expectation is any higher, you are just in for a let down. OF that hits around 15HR a year isn't that valuable.

Those two situations are not the same in the slightest. Melky was a guy that injected a lot into that Yankee team LAST year. He pretty much turned them around, and then was benched for the playoffs when a couple players came back. Again this year, as soon as he starts seeing everyday at bats, the team takes off.

This year: .300 avg, 8 hr, 52 rbi, 54 runs ,10 sb .....in less than 400 at bats.

Melky has shown his skill over a longer period of time than a Mark Reynolds, and has been one of the most producitve fantasy players over the last month. Those numbers don't lie.

Now I've said that top 20 is not what Melky is all about, but he's is definately a good sleeper for next year.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:34 pm

I just think there are struggling players with better tool sets that could make a bigger impact if they "break out". What happens if Melky breakout? 15hr 15sb .300?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chipper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Yeah I see your point.

I've just seen him consistently putting up points in a few of my yahoo points leagues, and I think that he will be a very undervalued, underhyped, good sleeper pick next year. He does everything Damon could, and Damon was considered a top 20-30 OF for a long time.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:01 pm

chipper wrote:Yeah I see your point.

I've just seen him consistently putting up points in a few of my yahoo points leagues, and I think that he will be a very undervalued, underhyped, good sleeper pick next year. He does everything Damon could, and Damon was considered a top 20-30 OF for a long time.

Damon hits for more power, Damon steal more bases. The good Damon. The one we expected when we draft him as a top 20 OF.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chipper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Fair enough, but....Melky is nowhere near his prime yet. It took Damon a good few years before he put up close to 15 homeruns, and when he did it was right around 15. (18, 14, 16, 9, 14, 12). Only twice did he really get up there with a 20+ year.

We don't know what Melky is truely capable of yet, because he's only played part of last year and a part of this year (though he has produced well the entire time...actually better than Damon's first few years).
To compare Damon's "career" and Melky's first year and a half is not indicitive of anything really.

Either way, this is not about a Melky vs Damon, this is about Melky producing. I still think he will be a very good option next year that can be had super, super late.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers