Return to Baseball Leftovers

The batting title

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The batting title

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:32 pm

How many AB's do you need to qualify for it?
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The batting title

Postby thedude » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 pm

3.1 Plate appearances per team game played (if my memory is correct)
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:47 pm

Ok, so 502 pa's, thanks.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:07 am

I always remembered it as 500 so that seems about right.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Well it can be a little less under special circumstances.

If a player doesn't meet the minimum PA, but would still win the batting title if he went hitless in the number of PA he is short, then he is declared Batting champion.

For instance if say Matt Holliday has only 497 PA, and is thereby 5 PA short of qualifying, the league calculates what his batting average would if he had 5 additional atbats with no hits. If this number is still a better batting average than anyone else, he is declared batting average champ.

I hope that isn't too confusing.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 pm

thedude wrote:Well it can be a little less under special circumstances.

If a player doesn't meet the minimum PA, but would still win the batting title if he went hitless in the number of PA he is short, then he is declared Batting champion.

For instance if say Matt Holliday has only 497 PA, and is thereby 5 PA short of qualifying, the league calculates what his batting average would if he had 5 additional atbats with no hits. If this number is still a better batting average than anyone else, he is declared batting average champ.

Wow, I never knew that. That means if Braun continues to hit .350+, he could conceivably finish without enough PAs to qualify, yet still win the title.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Bwanna wrote:
thedude wrote:Well it can be a little less under special circumstances.

Wow, I never knew that. That means if Braun continues to hit .350+, he could conceivably finish without enough PAs to qualify, yet still win the title.

You got it - and he could be REALLY close actually. He's on pace for 499 PAs (He has 316 PAs, the Brewers have 42 games left, and he's averaged 4.38 PAs per games in which he has appeared). If he stays at his current .350 rate and Hanley's stays at his current .343 rate (and no one else jumps up ahead of Hanley), Braun could end up with 494 plate appearances and still win the batting title.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bwanna » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Where can I find plate appearances? mlb.com shows Braun with 322 TPA (total plate appearances). Is that the correct stat?
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:43 pm

Bwanna wrote:Where can I find plate appearances? mlb.com shows Braun with 322 TPA (total plate appearances). Is that the correct stat?

Yes, that's what I came up with too... I just added ABs plus BBs. Not sure about HBP though...
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:49 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Bwanna wrote:Where can I find plate appearances? mlb.com shows Braun with 322 TPA (total plate appearances). Is that the correct stat?

Yes, that's what I came up with too... I just added ABs plus BBs. Not sure about HBP though...

That's correct. Baseball Reference displays them too. He also has two HBP. By my tally, he's averaging about 4.4 PA/G. The Brewers have 42 games left...so even if he gets a couple days off, he'll end up right at 501 on that pace. He's got a real shot at it. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -178)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers