Return to Baseball Leftovers

You Know It's True, Otherwise Bonds Would Sue...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You Know It's True, Otherwise Bonds Would Sue...

Postby knapplc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 pm

... that's one of the charges brought up by the Bonds-Took-Steroids crowd. It makes sense - if he's innocent and all these people are slandering him, then he could sue the pants off of them, right?

But wait a second! Perhaps Barry shall have the last laugh!

From the Strange But True Files:

NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Barry Bonds has bolstered his legal team and could be preparing to slap a lawsuit on Curt Schilling, the New York Daily News reported on its web site Thursday.

According to the report, Bonds retained San Francisco attorney Todd Schneider and Oakland attorney John Burris to represent him in a possible defamation lawsuit against the veteran Boston Red Sox pitcher.

"There's no guarantee any action will be taken," Burris told the newspaper. "The most important thing to communicate is that Barry's silence up until now is not an admission to anything."

Bonds, who hit career home run No. 756 on August 7 to pass Hank Aaron for the most in baseball history, already is the subject of the BALCO steroids investigation and is represented by Michael Rains in that matter. The BALCO grand jury reconvenes next month.

On the HBO program "Costas Now," Schilling discussed Bonds' former mistress, Kimberly Bell, and her potentially damaging grand-jury testimony. She reportedly testified that Bonds told her about his steroid use.

"If I wrote a book about Bob Costas and in that book I wrote about Bob Costas' girlfriend being on the road, and Bob Costas giving that girlfriend card-show money and I outlined your daily steroid regimen, I've got to believe your first line of defense is to sue my (butt) off," Schilling said on the program.

Schneider and Burris issued joint statements, the newspaper reported.

"Mr. Bonds retained Schneider and Burris because of the false nature of these statements," the statement read. "While pursuing Hank Aaron's home run record, Barry felt that it was more prudent to remain silent. Now that the record has been broken, Burris and Schneider will evaluate any and all statements attributed to him that are false."

Bonds belted his 759th career homer on Wednesday night against the Atlanta Braves.

We'll see if a lawsuit is actually filed, but this should at the least be entertaining to watch.

Anyone think Schilling will have no response? ;-7
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: You Know It's True, Otherwise Bonds Would Sue...

Postby colt4523 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:39 pm

I hope Curt says sue me and I can't wait for you to get on the stand. Then Barry can explain how he never took steroids and finally let us know how a 43 year old can gain 50 lbs of muscle. It will be a modern day fountain of youth for us. I think it is a shame that Barry has kept this from us. He probably just plans to write a book about his secret to make more money.
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby XHendrix » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Wow I have absolutely no respect for this man. What a scum-bag
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby JTWood » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:50 pm

Good. If he sues, everything will be forced out via the courts, and all this jazz will finally be in the show.

Bring it on, I say. Sue 'em. Sue 'em 'till the truth is known. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -255)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:17 pm

If there was anyone in baseball I hate more than Bonds, it's Schilling. At least Bonds doesn't hide being a jerk. Schilling is such a phony.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Bonds vs. Schilling in court would be the highest of high comedy. I pray for it to happen!
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stepsinsc » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 pm

Odds are he won't sue, and for the same reason he didn't sue the authors of the "Game of Shadows:" because it's all true.
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mbuser » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:45 am

"There's no guarantee any action will be taken," Burris told the newspaper. "The most important thing to communicate is that Barry's silence up until now is not an admission to anything."

methinks that a lack of action isn't the best way to communicate that, fellas
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sportsaddict » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:50 am

I'll believe it when I see it.

I severely doubt Bonds will go through with this lawsuit. He realizes that everyone will assume he's guilty if he doesn't sue (and rightfully so), so he's acting like he's going to sue to gain some credibility.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers