Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zambrano 5/$91.5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Zambrano 5/$91.5

Postby Rounders » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:07 pm

FINALLY!!!

As far as ARod, I'm sure they're interested, but I don't think they'll push hard enough to get him. They have young guys showing what they can do this season in Theriot and Fontenot, and DeRosa is having a pretty good season too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that ARod wouldn't be a major upgrade on those guys, but I think they'll be content with filling in the holes around Soriano, Lee, and ARam. They're first acquisition better be a decent right fielder and/or center fielder (hopefully Pie will find his stroke and take CF next year though).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:32 pm

Rounders wrote:FINALLY!!!

As far as ARod, I'm sure they're interested, but I don't think they'll push hard enough to get him. They have young guys showing what they can do this season in Theriot and Fontenot, and DeRosa is having a pretty good season too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that ARod wouldn't be a major upgrade on those guys, but I think they'll be content with filling in the holes around Soriano, Lee, and ARam. They're first acquisition better be a decent right fielder and/or center fielder (hopefully Pie will find his stroke and take CF next year though).

I'd like them to look at RP first, myself. How many games has that bullpen blown, or been unable to keep close at the end of the game? That bullpen is still a train wreck.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dougbies » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 pm

suprised that this happened. i thought i remembered bruce levine reporting yesterday that a zambrano deal would not get done this year because the cubs cant spend money untill they are sold. good for them i guess.
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IllinoisBandit » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Great job Cubs.
I agree they desperately need a decent right fielder, and I think their bullpen is well beyond average already.

Howry
Marmol
Wood
Dempster

are all pretty decent, although not great IMO.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Cubsin2100 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Just heard GM Jim Hendry on 670, and he reiterated that the Trib company's pending sale has not limited him in any way... but...

He did say that part of the reason they didn't get the deal done before the season/ earlier was they had to tell Z and his agent that the sale MAY impact the signing. Hendry made it seem as though they warned the Zambrano camp a bit TOO much that they wouldn't be able to make a deal, and that may have slowed the process down.
Cubsin2100
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 pm

Cubsin2100 wrote:All in all I like the deal... I don't like how he has looked his last few starts, though he "says" he isn't hurting...

Zambrano has never put up more than two dominant months in a row in his entire career. I doubt he's hurt this is just how things go with him. He looks lost out there for a month, then is the best pitcher in baseball for 2 months, then lost again for a month etc.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:07 pm

I think the discounted value is actually reasonable for both sides. There's little doubt that his maturity level should discount his price tag a bit. I mean what would happen if he throws a baseball at an ump who is not giving him a big enough strike zone? This is a guy that could easily pull off a stupid stunt like that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:21 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think the discounted value is actually reasonable for both sides. There's little doubt that his maturity level should discount his price tag a bit. I mean what would happen if he throws a baseball at an ump who is not giving him a big enough strike zone? This is a guy that could easily pull off a stupid stunt like that.

i would think/hope, the already very small odds of this lessen with age...Jose Offerman notwithstanding.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby jealousblues » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:58 pm

now that this is finally done...Is this the worst SP FA market ever?
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:19 pm

I don't think pitchers starting out at a young age is a good thing, especially one that throw that many innings as Zambrano did, but again, he has a great reputation so you never know.

A very fair deal in this land of craziness for pitching let's say ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -246)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers