Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kevin Correia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kevin Correia

Postby theclefe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 pm

SP, San Fransisco. 3-0 in three starts (MIL, @COL, WAS), with a sub 3.00 ERA, sub 1.00 WHIP and 10ks. He is starting tonight in Arizona, and if he does well, it might be a good time to grab him in a deep keeper. I don't know much about him, but I'm sure you SF boys do. What is the word on this 27-year-old?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kevin Correia

Postby theclefe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:54 am

No decision against Arizona. 5.1 Innings, 4 Ks, 1 ER, 6 hits, 3 BB. He is looks like a nice little playoff addition for me.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:05 am

Ticking time bomb.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Cow » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:59 am

Yoda wrote:Ticking time bomb.

Could be, but he has been good to me as a spot starter so far. I remember a couple years ago none other than Brett Tomko carried my team with a red hot September. I would never draft Correia or Tomko for that matter, but it just goes to show that any pitcher can get hot, but yeah Correia remains a ticking time bomb. BUT Correia is a better option than Dice-K or Maine for September. Though I would much rather draft Dice-K or Maine next year than Correia. Correia is hot and he is available so he makes a nice spot starter.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby theclefe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:01 pm

Looking into him a bit more, He had to stints as a starter in 2005. In July he had four starts, went 1-2 with a 5.75 ERA and only 9ks. He came back in August posting another 1-2 record in five starts, but looked a lot more effective. He had a 3.63 ERA, 29Ks and a 1.40 WHIP.

Looking at those samples along with his current stretch, it is clear that he is not dominate, but I disagree with Yoda in saying he is a ticking time bomb. In fact, his track record shows he is quite the opposite. He has given up 3 runs or less in 11 of his 13 starts since 2005, and though he only pitch 6+ innings in a handful of those games, that is still consistently medicore. In a deep pitcher league or NL-only, He could be a real asset to the back of your rotation as a guy who can get you a few k's and a win or two without killing your ERA or WHIP with a horrendous start.

Once again, I"m just looking at his numbers. I've never seen him play and know very little about San Fran's plan for him this season and beyond. Anyone have any insight?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Deuce » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:11 am

Correia is starting because it is September and he couldn't cut it in the bullpen. At one point, I believe he gave up two or three consecutive games to walk offs. If not three out of four. However, Correia is a starter and will probably be a solid third or fourth man on someones roster. The problem in San Francisco is they are top heavy on starters and light on relievers. You can probably expect him to start for the rest of the season as a showcase. Some of the young pitchers will have to be moved to improve the team next year. Don't be surprised if Kevin Correia doesn't wind up as a starter somewhere. He looks more comfortable in the starter role.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:49 am

Thanks Deuce. feedback for you. ;-D
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager