Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who says Roto is boring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who says Roto is boring?

Postby bleach168 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:43 pm

In my 3 roto leagues, stattracker shows I'm either in first by no more than 2 points or out of first by no more than 2 points.

I live for this. :-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who says Roto is boring?

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:57 pm

Roto is boring. I am in 3 Yahoo pubs in 1st place and 4th in a very competitive 20 team league. I rarely check those teams since the playoffs for my h2h leagues started!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Yoda wrote:Roto is boring. I am in 3 Yahoo pubs in 1st place and 4th in a very competitive 20 team league. I rarely check those teams since the playoffs for my h2h leagues started!

Highlighted what you are doing wrong. :-b
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:09 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Roto is boring. I am in 3 Yahoo pubs in 1st place and 4th in a very competitive 20 team league. I rarely check those teams since the playoffs for my h2h leagues started!

There is a very good reason why the two money leagues that I am in are H2H.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Yoda wrote:
bleach168 wrote:

There is a very good reason why the two money leagues that I am in are H2H.

You like being at the mercy of randomness and small sample sizes? O:-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:You like being at the mercy of randomness and small sample sizes? O:-)

No I like to build my team and using real strategies on a week to week basis. There is very little strategy in roto. You just play all your players and hope for the best. No daily lineup changes or matching up against your opponent, etc. It is more realistic.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Yoda wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:You like being at the mercy of randomness and small sample sizes? O:-)

No I like to build my team and using real strategies on a week to week basis. There is very little strategy in roto. You just play all your players and hope for the best. No daily lineup changes or matching up against your opponent, etc. It is more realistic.

I very much disagree. I think there's a lot more strategy to Roto than H2H, but that's just me. In fact, you have to actually build an entire team in Roto, whereas in H2H you can make up a strategy around punting Saves or SBs or something of that nature. You cannot be successful in Roto (or in real life) if you just completely punted your bullpen (for instance). Furthermore, any time where a valid strategy is literally benching your entire pitching staff for a couple days is a joke IMHO. I also don't see where you don't play matchups or just "play all your players and hope for the best" in Roto leagues but whatever. Most of my Roto leagues have benches and daily lineup changes, but I suppose that's neither here nor there. I'm much more involved in my Roto leagues than I ever have been in my H2H leagues.

I guess the thing I don't like about H2H is the fact that you are very much at the mercy of a small sample size, especially in the playoffs. You might as well play the first five months, figure out who makes the playoffs, and then flip a coin to see who wins. But to each their own. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -486)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:46 pm

Public leagues? With as many different leagues that are advertised in here during the spring time, I just don't see any need to play in public leagues. %-6

As far as the roto/h2h topic though, I have always been a die hard roto fan. This year I played a h2h league and loved every minute of it. It involves a total different strategy especially with punting of categories and eyeballing just one opponent instead of 14 or 15 different opponents. I will definitely play another h2h league next year. ;-D
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I very much disagree. I think there's a lot more strategy to Roto than H2H, but that's just me. In fact, you have to actually build an entire team in Roto, whereas in H2H you can make up a strategy around punting Saves or SBs or something of that nature. You cannot be successful in Roto (or in real life) if you just completely punted your bullpen (for instance). Furthermore, any time where a valid strategy is literally benching your entire pitching staff for a couple days is a joke IMHO. I also don't see where you don't play matchups or just "play all your players and hope for the best" in Roto leagues but whatever. Most of my Roto leagues have benches and daily lineup changes, but I suppose that's neither here nor there. I'm much more involved in my Roto leagues than I ever have been in my H2H leagues.

I guess the thing I don't like about H2H is the fact that you are very much at the mercy of a small sample size, especially in the playoffs. You might as well play the first five months, figure out who makes the playoffs, and then flip a coin to see who wins. But to each their own. ;-D

Yeah, I'd agree with Pimpin on this one. I've played both, and I hate the fact that H2H allows you to start fresh each week. A bad week in my roto leagues affects my entire season. I'm not sure how you can say 'there is very little strategy in roto'. :-?
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:53 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Yoda wrote:

I've played both for many years believe me and I started by playing roto 15 years ago. The reason why people knock on H2H is because they haven't played in a serious league with the right set up. In my H2H league which started in 2000, no one has ever won the league by punting an entire category. With the right set up, it is nearly impossibly to employ such tactics. You have to use a lot more strategy to beat different teams each week and in the end, you still have to have a great team to win.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers