Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who says Roto is boring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who says Roto is boring?

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Bwanna wrote:I'm not sure how you can say 'there is very little strategy in roto'. :-?

What strategy is there in roto? You don't make lineup decisions. Pitching match ups on a weekly basis. You don't play different types of team each week. In the end, the randomness tends to balance out if you have a really good team. I really like the fact that H2H keeps teams longer in the season and don't end up with 8 dead teams because 1 team is dominating everyone else in September.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 pm

I've always thought they are equally fun and equally tactical......but that at the end of one of them, you can get completely jobbed. You can have the best team, be the best manager, make all the right moves, and still lose to random circumstance like which teams are still playing for something.

Esspecially in football. How is it fun if my 2 stud RB's and QB is playing for their playoff lives and your 2 stud RB's and QB is playing only the first quarter? I wouldn't want to win that way, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to lose that way.
Last edited by chipper on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Yoda wrote:In my H2H league which started in 2000, no one has ever won the league by punting an entire category. With the right set up, it is nearly impossibly to employ such tactics.

Mind sharing the league settings? Probably the only H2H leagues I've ever seen/played in where that was true is weekly changes - 4X4.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:In my H2H league which started in 2000, no one has ever won the league by punting an entire category. With the right set up, it is nearly impossibly to employ such tactics.

Mind sharing the league settings? Probably the only H2H leagues I've ever seen/played in where that was true is weekly changes - 4X4.

I'd like to see them, too, if you don't mind, Yoda. Frankly, it seems easier to get people interested in an H2H league. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:26 pm

Yoda wrote:
Bwanna wrote:I'm not sure how you can say 'there is very little strategy in roto'. :-?

What strategy is there in roto? You don't make lineup decisions. Pitching match ups on a weekly basis. You don't play different types of team each week. In the end, the randomness tends to balance out if you have a really good team. I really like the fact that H2H keeps teams longer in the season and don't end up with 8 dead teams because 1 team is dominating everyone else in September.

My roto leagues are daily leagues, so I guess it depends on what type of league settings you've used. I make decisions daily. Depending on my need for Ws, Ks I risk streaming pitchers. Predicting trends for your players' stats and making trades based on those trends is a strategy I enjoy. Stocking up stat categories with the intention of trading them later is a strategy I enjoy. Neither of which make sense in a H2H league.

It is true, that it's easier to keep more of the owners interested if half the league can make the playoffs. Or, if the owner of a mediocre team can upset the #1 seed in the playoffs with a uncharacteristically good week. But, I'm annoyed by those aspects of random luck. But, it's a chance for even the sucky teams to have a chance of winning it all. Heck, MLB does it, and if they think it's right to keep adding more wildcard teams, so that even sucky teams have a chance, I guess it makes sense for everyone. ;-7
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby greenandgold » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:21 am

I have two roto leagues where I am neck and neck for 1st and 1 h2h league where I didn't make the playoffs :( September can be a fun month for both or a lost cause for both but at least I know I won't be dropped to 5th place in my roto league because of one bad week.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)

Postby bluejkrew » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 am

I'm very anti-H2H, and had many disputes w/ my friends in the past about this topic.

The only advantage h2h has over roto is keeping more managers active throughout the season. That's it. Otherwise, all it does is screw over the best team, and the winner is decided almost entirely on luck. All it takes is one bad week from your best player, let alone an injury, to ruin your otherwise perfect season. To me, its not worth investing all the time to a full season (6 months, april-sept.) to a league that's decided by that much luck.

As a matter of fact, ppl who like H2H are mostly those who suck too much to stand a chance in roto. :-b

And believe it or not, there ARE ways to keep ppl active in roto leagues (i.e. For money leagues, settle the payout according to standings from TOP TO BOTTOM. If its a keeper league, have the draft order decided by standings in the previous season).

I do agree that there are different strategies involved in H2H. In fact, I was the first one outta those in my league to employ streaming, as well as tanking certain stats to guarantee wins in others (which worked brilliantly for me a couple years ago!). However once the rest of the league catches on, it comes down again to who's more lucky in the month of september.

Furthermore, H2H settings are VERY susceptible to cheating/collusion. Teams who aren't in contention could decide to play favorites between those that still are, and can choose to bench their team against their friends (while starting them against others). And yes, I HAVE seen this happen!!!
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:04 am

bluejkrew wrote:The only advantage h2h has over roto is keeping more managers active throughout the season. That's it. Otherwise, all it does is screw over the best team, and the winner is decided almost entirely on luck. All it takes is one bad week from your best player, let alone an injury, to ruin your otherwise perfect season. To me, its not worth investing all the time to a full season (6 months, april-sept.) to a league that's decided by that much luck.

Yup. That's my opinion as well.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am

H2H strategy?

you mean by spamming pitchers to guarantee yourself a win in Wins, K or starting 5 relievers so that you win ERA and WHIP and SVs? these are lame strategies and H2H has no long term repercussions for these stupid streaming/churning strategies.

if you call such things as strategy and if churning/streaming means managers staying active, then be my guest in saying H2H is better.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 am

roto is not about just hoping for the best. When you are in tight leagues, the chess match is a blast. When to try and bring the other guy down, what categories to attack, when to trade "name" players for specific stats, the whole ball of wax. It's a blast in a contested league. Right now, in my roto keeper 10 runs, 5 home runs, .02 BA, 6 steals and 16 rbis are all that seperate the leader from the third place team. Tell me that isn't fun. We have no idea who is going to win, and every day is a lineup chess game to balance the ratios with counting stats.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers