Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who says Roto is boring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who says Roto is boring?

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:30 am

Both my money leagues are set up similarly. Start limit per week 5-8 and $5 per pick up so you can't play the starter carousel. We give a big prize to the best record for regular season (planning on upping the prize even more next year). We also limit picks ups during the playoffs to injuries only.

I would say that the best team won the league at least 90% of the time in these leagues. Top 3 100% of the time. Plus I play with a bunch of friends so the H2H set up is much more fun.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:43 am

Yoda wrote:Both my money leagues are set up similarly. Start limit per week 5-8 and $5 per pick up so you can't play the starter carousel. We give a big prize to the best record for regular season (planning on upping the prize even more next year). We also limit picks ups during the playoffs to injuries only.

I would say that the best team won the league at least 90% of the time in these leagues. Top 3 100% of the time. Plus I play with a bunch of friends so the H2H set up is much more fun.

What I was wondering about more was how you stopped people from punting categories.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:49 am

Tavish wrote:
Yoda wrote:Both my money leagues are set up similarly. Start limit per week 5-8 and $5 per pick up so you can't play the starter carousel. We give a big prize to the best record for regular season (planning on upping the prize even more next year). We also limit picks ups during the playoffs to injuries only.

What I was wondering about more was how you stopped people from punting categories.

Oh... people did it for the first few years with SVs and SBs but no one has come close to winning so no one tries anymore.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:50 am

I guess I'm in the minority and play and like both formats! There are good and bad things for each format, IMO.

I will say if I were playing for money I would want it to be a ROTO league, unless like Yoda said there is a large payout for the regular season winner as well!

Anyway, I like both and play both!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:57 am

J35J wrote:I guess I'm in the minority and play and like both formats! There are good and bad things for each format, IMO.

I will say if I were playing for money I would want it to be a ROTO league, unless like Yoda said there is a large payout for the regular season winner as well!

Anyway, I like both and play both!

Yeah I didn't mean to say roto is boring but it is compared to H2H for me. I think roto is a bit more laid back unless you are in the thick of things at the end. H2H keeps teams in longer and playoffs are always exciting.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rainman23 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:12 pm

I've played both formats, and I like both. I believe anyone who thinks Roto is a vastly better game has just never played in a good H2H league. My primary league has been H2H for several years, and we've never had anyone stream pitchers, and we've never had anyone punt a category. Part of that may be the rules we've set up, and a lot of it is the guys in the league. We just agree that certain practices are lame, and we don't do them.

We play a 6X6 league, so after 22 weeks there are 264 games at stake. The best teams wind up with the best records. It's math, guys.

We split our prize money evenly between the regular season and the playoffs. So winning the regular season means something. If we wanted it to mean everything, we could push more of the money in that direction. We like the balance.

So the best team wins. Just like Roto.

But unlike Roto, after that best team wins, we have a little tournament that we like to call the post-season. Like every other league in the known world, outside of NCAA division 1 football. Playoffs are fun. Does the best team always win? No, thank God. That's why we play the games. If all it did was validate the regular season champ, what would be the point? It sure ain't sport. Playoffs give everybody another chance at glory, a reason to stay interesting, a reason to keep managing their team. And if you dominated your league, it gives you a fresh new challenge. And if you're a sports fan, the fact that your star-studded roster may actually stumble is what makes it all worthwhile.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:43 pm

rainman23 wrote:I've played both formats, and I like both. I believe anyone who thinks Roto is a vastly better game has just never played in a good H2H league. My primary league has been H2H for several years, and we've never had anyone stream pitchers, and we've never had anyone punt a category. Part of that may be the rules we've set up, and a lot of it is the guys in the league. We just agree that certain practices are lame, and we don't do them.

We play a 6X6 league, so after 22 weeks there are 264 games at stake. The best teams wind up with the best records. It's math, guys.

We split our prize money evenly between the regular season and the playoffs. So winning the regular season means something. If we wanted it to mean everything, we could push more of the money in that direction. We like the balance.

But unlike Roto, after that best team wins, we have a little tournament that we like to call the post-season. Like every other league in the known world, outside of NCAA division 1 football. Playoffs are fun. Does the best team always win? No, thank God. That's why we play the games. If all it did was validate the regular season champ, what would be the point? It sure ain't sport. Playoffs give everybody another chance at glory, a reason to stay interesting, a reason to keep managing their team. And if you dominated your league, it gives you a fresh new challenge. And if you're a sports fan, the fact that your star-studded roster may actually stumble is what makes it all worthwhile.

This is a good post, and I'll retract some of my earlier disgustations (word?) about H2H leagues.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:13 pm

rainman23 wrote:I've played both formats, and I like both. I believe anyone who thinks Roto is a vastly better game has just never played in a good H2H league. My primary league has been H2H for several years, and we've never had anyone stream pitchers, and we've never had anyone punt a category. Part of that may be the rules we've set up, and a lot of it is the guys in the league. We just agree that certain practices are lame, and we don't do them.

While I agree with most of this post I will say the reason why, and I agree to a point, that most don't like the playoffs in H2H is because they have no control over it. Everyone likes PLAYING in playoff games where they are apart of it and they have a real factor in the outcome but when it comes down to things completely out of your control then it is nothing like "real" playoffs, IMO.

Anyway, like I said, I like and play both(Roto and H2H) but fantasy playoffs shouldn't be looked at like "real" playoffs where if you were playing or coaching you would actually have some control in the outcome.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Brandaddy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:59 pm

i am in 4 leagues right now and 2 of them are h2h and 2 are roto. i am begining to think that i like roto better becuase there is not as much luck involved in it. example: in one league i am in first place bye 11.5 games and im in the playoffs against the 5 seed team and he is tearing me up, and he isnt even active. I have by far the best team in the league but one bad week and im in the losers bracket. and in my other league was a yahoo one that was under a diffrent id that i completely forgot about til the middle of august, my team was somehow in 6th place and i am just rolling thru the playoffs thanks to arod, to me that doesnt seem to fair in both situations. in my roto leagues i am in 1st and 3rd and well the one i am in 1st im pretty much gonna win because i am dominating but the other one is up for grabs and definitly is my favorite league. sorry if it doesnt make sense im on my laptop in some restaurant and my lame football buddies are making fun of me for posting on a "boring ass baseball board"
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -5)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:26 pm

The point I was trying to make is Roto can be extremely fun. Even as a pure Roto junkie I acknowledge that there is plenty of strategy in H2H. To me the arguement is a lot like fantasy baseball vs fantasy football. You cannot say one is objectively better than the other. As long as people are having fun it's all good.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers