Return to Baseball Leftovers

Terry Ryan Out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Terry Ryan Out

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:45 am

This worries me as a Twins fan not because Ryan is leaving but rather why he left. Does he know that Pohlad is not going to try at all to resign his top players and does he not want that on his legacy? I know that they aren't going to make much of a play at Hunter but it worries me that they might not make much of a play at Santana as well and who knows about Morneau.

I've always been 50/50 on Ryan. Yeah, he's brought in good young players but I think a lot of that has as much to do with the excellent coaching staff the Twins have from the top to bottom. Without that development, half of the players that Ryan has been praised for bringing in could just as well be flops. I've always been disappointed with him bringing in low risk/low reward players. There have been about two or three years where the Twins could have made a serious run at the World Series if he just would have let go of one of his pitchers or would have gone with a low risk/high reward player for a little more money. But, the Central Division championship always seemed to be enough for him. To be fair, just like the coaching staff deserves more of the praise, Pohlad probably deserves a lot of the blame for the moves Ryan made. But, the fact remains he did a terrible job with finding players on the market.

His legacy in my mind will always be that he built a good young team but lacked the ability to shape it into a great one.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers