Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do Expansion Drafts Work in keeper leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do Expansion Drafts Work in keeper leagues?

Postby Nails86 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:35 pm

I am the commish of a ten team keeper league and some members have suggested expanding to 11 or 12 teams next year. Each team is keeping 6 players next year. How can we do an expansion draft? Thanks
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do Expansion Drafts Work in keeper leagues?

Postby hersch223 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Have everyone protect a number of players, say 10. Then the expansion team(s) select 6 keepers from the unprotected players. Then everyone selects their 6 keepers from the players they have left.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:16 pm

My league hasn't expanded in a while, but this is how we did our expansion draft last time, as I recall.

You want teams to end up with 6 players. The whole question is how many you get to protect from the expansion teams. The way we did it was to say, "Let's say you keep a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. That is 21. If an expansion team took 6 4's, they'd end up with 24, and the teams that lost a player would instead end up with a 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7, for 24" So if we wanted things to be really fair, we'd probably tell each team to protect 3 guys, then let you protect your next 3 once you lost a player in the expansion draft. However, in reality, that's never quite what we did; we always said, "Expansion teams are supposed to be fighting uphill, but not enough to make them miserable." So in the situation you describe, I'd probably let each team protect 4, then 2 more if they lost a player, with the goal of having the expansion teams competitive but at a disadvantage.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Here is how ours went years ago:
A: Current owners protect their top picks (1 each).
B: Expansion teams pick any one player who is unprotected but... the expansion teams can't pick more than once from one team's unprotected players.
C: The current owners protect another player.
D: repeat B, C until everyone fills up their roster.

This way, if one team is loaded with keepers, then he won't lose all his top players before he gets to protect his next player. Good luck.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:09 am

Yoda wrote:Here is how ours went years ago:
A: Current owners protect their top picks (1 each).
B: Expansion teams pick any one player who is unprotected but... the expansion teams can't pick more than once from one team's unprotected players.
C: The current owners protect another player.
D: repeat B, C until everyone fills up their roster.

This way, if one team is loaded with keepers, then he won't lose all his top players before he gets to protect his next player. Good luck.

This is how we did our football expansion this season. I think it worked quite well. When it boiled down to it, all 12 teams basically got one of the 12 best players, 2 of the 24 best, 3 of the 36....etc. Evened things up, but still gave a small advantage to the original owners.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -11)

Postby Nails86 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:20 am

Wouldnt that strategy be unfair to a player who traded off a bunch of solid players for a gret keeper with the intention of building around that player the next year. For example say that I had Pujols but fell out of contention. Therefore I traded Alfonso Soriano and Ortiz for A-Rod for example with intentions of building around theses two studs. That owner would be at disadvantage because he could not have predicted an expansion draft where he would have to drop his 2nd best player that he had mortgaged so much to get.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 am

Nails86 wrote:Wouldnt that strategy be unfair to a player who traded off a bunch of solid players for a gret keeper with the intention of building around that player the next year. For example say that I had Pujols but fell out of contention. Therefore I traded Alfonso Soriano and Ortiz for A-Rod for example with intentions of building around theses two studs. That owner would be at disadvantage because he could not have predicted an expansion draft where he would have to drop his 2nd best player that he had mortgaged so much to get.

Yes but you are going to face that problem no matter what you do. You either do the expansion draft to allow new teams start out on par with everyone or just reset the keepers, start over. I would never join a league that the top 30 or 50 players are already off the board. That's stupid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:56 pm

My keeper league went from 10 to 12 teams this year - here's how we did it:

We normally keep 10, but since the expansion teams need to pick off our rosters we only got to protect 5. Then each team selected one player (alternating, of course) from each team and could not select more than one player from each team. At this point each expansion team had 5 players.

We then got to protect another 5 players, and the expansion teams rounded out their rosters from the left over players. It worked fairly well as there was still some high quality players available (Hafner, KRod, D. Lee) to name a few. One team finished in 10th of 12 but the other finished in 2nd place.

It definitely was a success.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Return to Baseball Leftovers