Who would you draft higher in next year's draft

Jake Peavy
20%
Johan Santana
80%

Total votes : 35

Re: 2008: Peavy or Santana

Postby greenandgold » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:25 am

I would take Santana still, he has a few more years of consistency under his belt
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:59 am

I said Santana, I was a Peavy owner last year.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby interchange » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:24 am

I'll pick whichever one has the best value for draft position.

I expect Peavy to be slightly better, but Santana to be more of a sure thing.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby J35J » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:29 am

I haven't looked into my rankings/projections much at all yet but I might be leaning towards Peavy. Not only is he in the NL but in a great pitchers park as well.

With that said, I'm not completely sure yet. They are very close, IMO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:00 pm

Santana. No doubt.
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 pm

I think they are equal and should be drafted around the same time. I don't think I'll be drafting either of them because it's not like the past few years where Johan has been far ahead of the field (although I didn't draft him then either). It's Peavy, Santana and about 3-4 pitchers on their heels. A 1st or 2nd round pick would be wasted on a pitcher in my opinion.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:41 pm

jfg wrote:I think they are equal and should be drafted around the same time. I don't think I'll be drafting either of them because it's not like the past few years where Johan has been far ahead of the field (although I didn't draft him then either). It's Peavy, Santana and about 3-4 pitchers on their heels. A 1st or 2nd round pick would be wasted on a pitcher in my opinion.

See, I'm not a fan of avoiding pitchers at all costs like a lot of people advocate around here. I draft based on value and don't lock myself into a situation where I have to draft all hitters the first 6 rounds. If I did that, then I would miss out on some great bargains who can help me win.

I think Peavy late 1st or early 2nd is great value. He really had only one off year and is still very young. He doesn't pitch a lot of innings and doesn't have the same consistency as Santana so I would drop him a little.

What I would like to see is how many people drafted Santana in the first round in 06 are:
1. happy with him
2. winning with him
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:12 pm

i take peavy right now.

1. NL west - weak division and some pitcher friendly parks
2. petco park - pitcher's paradise
3. good bullpen not blowing leads.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Yoda wrote:See, I'm not a fan of avoiding pitchers at all costs like a lot of people advocate around here. I draft based on value and don't lock myself into a situation where I have to draft all hitters the first 6 rounds. If I did that, then I would miss out on some great bargains who can help me win.

I think Peavy late 1st or early 2nd is great value. He really had only one off year and is still very young. He doesn't pitch a lot of innings and doesn't have the same consistency as Santana so I would drop him a little.

Oh, I definitely think he's going to be good next year. But, I don't think late 1st-early 2nd is a value pick. The only reason Santana went that high in years past is because nobody came close to him. But now that Peavy compares in most everyones eyes with Santana and neither of them were that far ahead of the next tier of Bedard, Sabathia, Webb and Beckett, I'd much rather take a hitter and wait a round to get one of those guys from the second tier or even wait a couple more rounds and take a 3rd tier like Young, Harang, Hamels or Verlander. I think this year proved that the parity is even greater than ever when it comes to drafting aces and you can definitely dig up a couple in the 5th-7th rounds.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers