Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Ian Kinsler gonna be Brian Roberts from 2 Seasons Ago???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 pm

by NYMetsIn2k4 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:04 pm

I know kinsler worked extra hard this offseason to strengthen his legs and its so far turned into an outrageous power source, but lets be real... he cant keep this up! I understand he has more power than b-rob, but hes bound to fizzle off a little, no? or are we seeing the second coming out of another Utley style 2bagger?

I made this post during Kinslers hot streak in April, but it got merged into a 17 page Ian Kinsler thread and needless to say was burried, i figured id dig it out an look at the stats and see how close my semi-prediction came:

Kinsler had 9 HRs and 22 RBIs in April
B-Rob had 8 HRs and 26 RBIs in April in 2005

Kinsler up until Today: 86 runs ----19 HRs--- 57 RBIs ----20 SBs---- .267 AVG
B-Rob from 2005: 92 runs---- 18 HRs -----73 RBIs---- 27 SBs---- .314 AVG

Each of them had HUGE Aprils and led people to believe they would cash in on Monster #s from their "sleeper" 2b, but both of which have left owners with a sour taste in their mouths!

Their #s ended up being pretty close... B-Rob was clearly the better Fantasy option in 2005, but needless to say, they both started off red hot, but fizzled right off, as i predicited way back when!
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Ian Kinsler gonna be Brian Roberts from 2 Seasons Ago???

Postby spamnon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52 pm

good work
I love fantasy baseball but I love fantasy life more... http://www.citypixel.com/AM
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The G.O.A.T. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:06 pm

Don't forget Kinsler missed 26 games. I don't think anyone said Kinsler was going to keep up his April pace. He is a guy who is 20/20 potential. Last month he has been a top 3 2B in my league. Can't complain about that considering where most people got him in their drafts. I'll be happy to get him next year.
The G.O.A.T.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:19 am

The G.O.A.T. wrote:Don't forget Kinsler missed 26 games. I don't think anyone said Kinsler was going to keep up his April pace. He is a guy who is 20/20 potential. Last month he has been a top 3 2B in my league. Can't complain about that considering where most people got him in their drafts. I'll be happy to get him next year.

Exactly, considering where he went in most drafts, even one month like that in a Roto league gives you a nice boost. I was able to rotate Kinsler, Upton and Polanco in at my 2nd base position this year.

So far the combo has produced:

118 runs, 33 HRs, 99 RBI, 18 SB, .291 AVG

Which is phenominal from a traditionally weak position, even better than Phillips' year so far.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

Postby markj11 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 am

Field wrote:
The G.O.A.T. wrote:Don't forget Kinsler missed 26 games. I don't think anyone said Kinsler was going to keep up his April pace. He is a guy who is 20/20 potential. Last month he has been a top 3 2B in my league. Can't complain about that considering where most people got him in their drafts. I'll be happy to get him next year.

Exactly, considering where he went in most drafts, even one month like that in a Roto league gives you a nice boost. I was able to rotate Kinsler, Upton and Polanco in at my 2nd base position this year.

Which is phenominal from a traditionally weak position, even better than Phillips' year so far.

But Phillips only takes up one roster spot.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 am

Field wrote:

Yeah well if you add up production from 3 guys, you will usually end up better than 1.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Field » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:39 am

markj11 wrote:
Field wrote:

But Phillips only takes up one roster spot.

No. Only 1 spot for most of the year. Kinsler was dropped after about 2 months and Polanco was picked up and dropped for Upton's short DL stint.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Field » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 am

Yoda wrote:
Field wrote:

Yeah well if you add up production from 3 guys, you will usually end up better than 1.

I wasn't adding their entire production. I was adding up what they did for me at my second base slot for the entire year up to this point by checking my team log.

To get back to the argument, I think most people knew Kinsler played over his head in April. I was trying to trade him because I had Upton waiting in the wings.

Kinsler may actually be slightly undervauled going into drafts next year. A lot of people will probably shy away from him due to his hot start and inconsistency throughout the year. But he certainly has the ability to be a top fantasy producer at his position with his power/speed combo especially if he can bring his average up a bit.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers