Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trading Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading Strategy

Postby stabone76 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:11 pm

OK I personally, and think most people agree, two for one trades are good, if you are the person getting the better ONE player. How much do you all consider to be too much. I mean of course you arent gonna give bonds and Helton to get Pujols, but i have an offer of Bonds for Clayton/Halladay. If you go number 8 pick for number 13 and 65 it seems a little much, but if you consider 8 for 20 and 75, then it seems better. I guess im not sure what im saying but overall, what do you think about Two for ones in general. I know alot of people offer two for ones like Johnny Damon and Richie Sexson for AROD and of course that is ludacris, but what do you think on average of the topic.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:20 pm

I think the real focus of your trade analysis should be on how you can increase your team's points, rather than a player's rankings. For example, if you are already leading in HRs, then trading for a guy who primarily adds HRs dioes nothing for you, not matter how highly he is ranked. On the other hand, if you are locked in a tight save battle with 5 or 6 other teams, even a marginal closer can mean those points for you.

In short, look for what players have real marginal value for you, rather than who is highly ranked.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby stabone76 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:27 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I think the real focus of your trade analysis should be on how you can increase your team's points, rather than a player's rankings. For example, if you are already leading in HRs, then trading for a guy who primarily adds HRs dioes nothing for you, not matter how highly he is ranked. On the other hand, if you are locked in a tight save battle with 5 or 6 other teams, even a marginal closer can mean those points for you.

In short, look for what players have real marginal value for you, rather than who is highly ranked.


Yeah but trading before the season, nobody is ahead in HR. I guess it depends on when you draft, i didnt really specify.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wisconsin

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:41 pm

I can tell you that I have never been on the 2 end of a 2 for 1 deal.

I love 2 for 1 deals, but only if I'm getting the 1.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I've never had an offer good enough to accept when I'm getting the 2 players.
Image
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8224
(Past Year: -8)
Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: QUACK-QUACK....GO DUCKS!

Postby baseball genius » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:57 pm

BigLebowski wrote:I can tell you that I have never been on the 2 end of a 2 for 1 deal.

I love 2 for 1 deals, but only if I'm getting the 1.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I've never had an offer good enough to accept when I'm getting the 2 players.


I agree ;-D
Image

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 404
Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the mound

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:03 am

stabone76 wrote:Yeah but trading before the season, nobody is ahead in HR. I guess it depends on when you draft, i didnt really specify.


You know the old quote about how if after 5 minutes at the poker table you can't figure out who the sucker is, it's you?

Well, if you don't have a pretty good idea where you stand before the season starts, you're already operating at a disadvantage. Know your strengths and weaknesses and those of your opponents.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Re: Trading Strategy

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:51 am

stabone76 wrote:OK I personally, and think most people agree, two for one trades are good, if you are the person getting the better ONE player. How much do you all consider to be too much. I mean of course you arent gonna give bonds and Helton to get Pujols, but i have an offer of Bonds for Clayton/Halladay. If you go number 8 pick for number 13 and 65 it seems a little much, but if you consider 8 for 20 and 75, then it seems better. I guess im not sure what im saying but overall, what do you think about Two for ones in general. I know alot of people offer two for ones like Johnny Damon and Richie Sexson for AROD and of course that is ludacris, but what do you think on average of the topic.


O.K. I have a question for all you trade gurus. I have Bonds in a 5 player keeper NL only Head to Head 5X5 League (25 players per 8 teams). I would like to trade him in a fair swap but one that would be attractive enough to take. What should I expect to get in return? Thanks
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby eli81k » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:29 am

I think getting the best player amongst all involved in a deal is a very good idea. However, it shoudn't be an iron-clad law.

Someone in my league sent A-Rod away for Renteria and Marcus Giles and ended up beating out the guy that wound up with A-Rod for the final play-off spot. It was a very good move because the guy that got two players back had Adam Kennedy and Eric Young manning second for him. That and Giles and Renteria both exceeded expectations a little.
eli81k
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 134
(Past Year: -3)
Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: MSP

Postby drunkenmonkey » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:05 am

It's tough to say who you should get for Bonds if we don't know what your team needs.

Personally, I play with guys who generally know what they are doing (excluding the Tejada for Leiter trade I saw early last year when Tejada was tanking). So I try to look for a trade that has a chance to be accepted, but benefits my team. Usually, after my draft, I'll find one position that I drafted deep. This year I have Everett and Hidalgo on the bench behind Guerrero, Berkman, and Lee. So I'll (hypothetically) offer someone like Berkman who could improve anyone's outfield along with a decent bench player in exchange for a better position player where I'm weak and a bench player from the other team. That way, I'm not offering all trash off my bench for a starter, but hopefully, the drop from Berkman to Hidalgo or Everett won't be too severe.

These types of trades seem to have worked pretty well for me in the past.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 328
(Past Year: -11)
Joined: 5 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:00 am

I like your bananas, monkey.

I think it's also important to try to trade guys who are overvalued for those who are undervalued. For example, last year I had D. Lee manning first base and you probably remember he went on that SB tear the first month or two of the season. He was way ahead of projections in SB and doing well in other areas and it was just unsustainable. I was weak in pitching and had adequate back-ups for 1B, so was able to trade him for C. Zambrano and Marlon Byrd. Both of them were very undervalued early last year. That worked out very nicely.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5469
(Past Year: -47)
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests