Return to Baseball Leftovers

Arod-Soriano-update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:22 pm

Leave it to the Yankees to keep the much-worse defensive player at shortstop (Jeter) and have a much-better defensive shortstop (A-Rod) playing third base. Look at the fielding numbers:

Player, FPCT, Range, ZoneRating
Rodriguez, .989, 4.54, .859
Jeter, .969, 3.75, .791

I can't wait to see Kevin Brown's face when ball after ball gets past Jeter for a hit, while A-Rod is there on the roster playing third.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Yanks are better with A-rod

Postby riplycolt » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:23 pm

The Yankees are definately a better team with A-rod. He is better offensively and defensively than Soriano. He will be able to adjust to 3B quicker than most think and he will be more motivated because he is playing on a winning team. His fantasy value won't be affected because he will have great hitters around him. Can you imagine Giambi and Sheffield protecting him in that lineup. This team could be the best offensive team in the history of baseball. All they need to do is get a good defensive second baseman. This trade is good for baseball becuase it gives fans something to talk about. Yankee haters will hate the Yankees even more and now the Yankees will have no excuse for failing to win the World Series.
yanksteamof20centuy
riplycolt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:28 pm

I guess the theory with not moving Jeter to 3rd and putting A-Rod at SS is that Jeter's arm sucks....
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:38 pm

KolbSaves wrote:I guess the theory with not moving Jeter to 3rd and putting A-Rod at SS is that Jeter's arm sucks....

I really don't think that the throw from 3B is much longer than SS. Most 3B play pretty even with the bag and SS play deeper.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby justinA » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:00 am

Lofunzo wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:I guess the theory with not moving Jeter to 3rd and putting A-Rod at SS is that Jeter's arm sucks....

I really don't think that the throw from 3B is much longer than SS. Most 3B play pretty even with the bag and SS play deeper.

yes, the throw from the hole in short is known as the longest throw on the infield. Most balls fielded by 3B's are, like u said, even with the bag.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:35 am

everyone knew Alex was going to move to 3B eventually to prolong his career and facilitate his record setting hitting, he is just going to do it about 7 years earlier than most of us expected. ;-D
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:52 am

A ss needs a arm much more then a 3b. SS has the longest throw when going to his right. SS also plays deeper. 3B is a reaction position. 3b gets the ball quicker, because they are closer to batter, so they have more time, so arm strength isn't as vital.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers