Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:43 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:
If Soriano hits 3rd, won't his steals likely go down, reducing his value that way?

ajgdrummer7 wrote:
but wouldn't they have gone down even more batting 7th in the yankee lineup?

I don't know about "even more" but they would have gone down anyway, I'd guess.

Comparison to A-Rod:
A-Rod's first four full-time seasons he had 15, 29, 46, and 21 steals. From there, he's been in the 15-ish range for the last 4 seasons.

Soriano has had 43, 41, and 35 in his first three full-time seasons. He's coming from a higher level than A-Rod, but his steals will likely drop as he becomes more of a HR-RBI guy in the lineup.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:08 am

Hmmmm.......As crazy as it sounds, Soriano could very well hit leadoff. We don't have anyone with speed except Ramon Nivar and it's unclear if he will make the team next year. Should be interesting to see this develop.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:24 am

Laynce Nix has 20 SB speed, doesn't he? And A-Rod had a higher SB% than Soriano last year, why would he get the green light more than A-Rod did?

The protection in Texas' lineup is also pretty good: Blalock, Jordan, Fullmer, and Teix. That's pretty good incentive to not walk Soriano. I definately see an increase in his AB's which leads to an increase in every other cumulative stat. We'll see how the SB's turn out though which is crucial.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:26 am

LBJackal wrote:Laynce Nix has 20 SB speed, doesn't he? And A-Rod had a higher SB% than Soriano last year, why would he get the green light more than A-Rod did?

The protection in Texas' lineup is also pretty good: Blalock, Jordan, Fullmer, and Teix. That's pretty good incentive to not walk Soriano. I definately see an increase in his AB's which leads to an increase in every other cumulative stat. We'll see how the SB's turn out though which is crucial.

i agree with alot of that. however, i think that the SB% for guys that run alot will tend to be lower because teams will expect it and pitch out more often. I think soriano is going to steal 35+, regardless of where he plays or hits in the lineup
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Big Blue » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:39 am

THE BIGGEST CHANGE I SEE IS IN KEEPER LEAGUES WITH SORIANO IF HE MOVES TO THE OF FULL TIME. THEIR ARE FAR MORE OFS THEN 2ND BASEMEN
Big Blue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Fumbler » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:05 am

Exactly Big Blue.

We're starting a keeper league this year and i wouldn't want to waste my pick on Soriano if he's not going to be eligible for any infield position after this season.
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:01 pm

this will make snd base the most thinnest postion in basbeall if sornaio moved to the outfield.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ferris182 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Big Blue wrote:THE BIGGEST CHANGE I SEE IS IN KEEPER LEAGUES WITH SORIANO IF HE MOVES TO THE OF FULL TIME. THEIR ARE FAR MORE OFS THEN 2ND BASEMEN

As long as Soriano keeps swiping bases, he'll still be a top option even if he moves to the OF, or another position.
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GameOn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:34 pm

He'll still be eligible at 2B this year since he played a bunch of games there last year. I would imagine even if Texas moves him to the OF he will get a decent amount of starts at 2B (like if One of the youngs get hurt or want a day off or something). If the Rangers move Soriano to the OF, that means they can only start 2 of Nix, Jordan, Mench and Dellucci, and I i guarantee they will be rotating them a lot and also giving eric young days off and starting Soriano at 2B. So I still think he will get 15 games as 2B.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers