Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sux to be a Boston fan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby djacks » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:01 pm

This is exactly why, as a sport, football rules and baseball doesn't. I still like fantasy baseball better than fantasy football...but from a fan's perspective its not even close.

Let's just all root for the Royals to be this year's Angels or Marlins!!!

We Believe! Together We Can!
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phatjagz14 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:01 pm

I would love to see A-rod in pinstripes but I have always advocated a salary cap. I wanted one when he went to Texas, when he was going to Boston, and now that he might go to New York. I love the Yanks, but what's to stop them from buying an all star team every year. Baseball is the only sport with no cap and a screwed up playoffs system. Thi is why Selig sucks. :-P
It's like I've died and gone to heaven......but then they realized that it wasn't my time, so they sent me to a brewery.
phatjagz14
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby sappisgod » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:34 pm

djacks wrote:This is exactly why, as a sport, football rules and baseball doesn't. I still like fantasy baseball better than fantasy football...but from a fan's perspective its not even close.

Let's just all root for the Royals to be this year's Angels or Marlins!!!

We Believe! Together We Can!

Heh, actually I'd rather have a team that spends too much and wins than a team who's owner is loaded(much wealthier then George) and doesn't spend nearly enough on his team.
sappisgod
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tlef316 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:41 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:The Sox salary is way too much also, baseball NEEDS a salary cap

agreed. the spending is out of controll. even as a yanks fan, i recognize the need for a cap. but spending money does not buy titles.(see the yankees, mets, dodgers)

Even if there was a cap, Big Stein would just dump all his money into scouting, the yanks would find and sign the best teenage prospects in other countries, develop them(since we wouldnt be trading them for allstars) and win. then the yankee haters would have something new to cry about.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby colt4523 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:57 am

Well I just saw the news on this and I think it is so funny with all the yankee bashing going on. "The Yankees are ruining baseball" is hilarious.
It seems that it only took the yanks a couple of days to get the deal done. Right now it also looks like the rangers are going to eat 2 years of arod's contract too. At least the rangers are getting Soriano. He is not too shabby of a 2nd basemen.
What would be the difference if the sox got him anyway as opposed to the yanks. We know all the high profile players go to either the yanks or the sox. The sox are not that different from the yanks. The yanks just so happen to make more money then any other professional team, have a winning tradition, Don Mattingly as their hitter coach, and history on their side.
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:37 am

There should be a salary cap.. No team should ever be allowed to exceed 100 million dollars, let alone 200 million... :-P
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)

Postby GSes » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:50 am

Sux to be a Boston fan?

Give me a break....sigh

Try being A's fan. We loose all of our home grown studs to big market big money teams (cough ur frickin Sox and Yankees). Try being an A's fan and wut it feels like to watch your beloved players leave. Not to mention we don't have any money to spend on free agents let alone resign our own players.

PLEASE DONT GIVE ME THIS BULLS**T OF ITS HARD TO BE A SOX FAN.

Sack up Sox fans. Theo will just go buy you a new all star.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fvilla18 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:21 am

Sucks to be any fan other than a Yankees fan. look who i root for.
fvilla18
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:32 am

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think baseball needs an "official" salary cap. In the last CBA, the payroll tax was set up to act as a salary cap and it has, for 28 of 30 teams. Most teams have kept their payroll below the tax level, with the exceptions being Boston (this season) and New York (every season). The tax will hit the Yankees big time in the next few years, and they'll pay it and continue to spend until it's not financial feasible to do so. All of the money they pay in because their salary is over the limit goes to other teams, so by them shooting their payroll up to $200M, it gives millions to every other team.

On top of that, it's no guarantee they'll win the World Series. They have a playoff spot locked up, for sure, but in a 5 or 7-game series, anything can happen. They haven't won the World Series the last 3 years, when they've outspent everyone by far.

Over the last 5 years, the Yankees have spent $600M on payroll and won 484 games. The Oakland Athletics have spent $185M and won 485 games.

Four years in a row, the A's have lost Game 5 of their division series. The scores of those games: 7-5, 5-3, 5-4, 4-3. When the score is that close, the game could have gone either way. With a little luck, the A's could be considered the dominant team in baseball, despite their puny payroll.

I hate the Yankees, I hate Steinbrenner, I really hate Bernie Williams for some reason (I'm not sure why exactly, there's just something really annoying about him), but I don't think they're the ruination of baseball.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby GameOn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:51 am

Man you all think you have it bad, look who I root for. We have been to the playoffs what like 4 times in over 30 years. At least the A's make the playoffs and have won a bunch of titles, the Rangers haven't done jack. I still like having the yankees and red sox though because even when the rangers stink I can go to a game and hope they beat the damn yankees or red sox.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers