Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod not a yank yet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Heimush » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:49 pm

Erboes wrote:
Heimush wrote:Well the answer to that was throw in more money, somewher in the range of $15 million which they could have added to beer prices again

From the reports, Texas actually came most of the way to bridge that $15 million gap, but Boston would give the extra $2-3 million to make it work. I believe they were playing hardball, thinking that Texas had no one else to go to. I guess they were wrong.

I'm wondering if they actually went back to Boston or maybe they will still do so if it's not too late. Boneheaded move on Boston's part if you ask me.

Again this is not the colon deal where the Yankees jumped in to Block Boston getting him. They gave Boston evry chance to do it. Its been 3 months.
"Inconceivable!"

"This word...I do not think it means what you think it means."
Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:56 pm

Oh well, the Yankees can have the best team in baseball and lose in the Series again this year, fine with me...

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jonnyblack » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:02 pm

I'm no Yankee lover, but I'm sick of the BoSox fans whining. You know that your team could have had A-Rod. They took a calculated risk and it is coming back to bite them. I think George is doing it, not only to have the best player is baseball, but to get a rise out of all you Sox fans. You think with all of the history involved, that Sox fans wouldn't be surprised that A-Rod will soon be a Yankee. The MLBPA only blocked the deal when the Sox wanted to get A-Rod a little more cheaply. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is an entirely different issue. Bottom line, Sox could have had him, took a gamble, and got beat again by the hated Yankees. Quit your crying, suck it up, take your lumps, and root for your team on the field (Thank the baseball gods for the wild card !+) !+) !+) )
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby grammysboy » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:10 pm

Coming from one of the "small market" cities, I was excited when the Royals coughed up enough money to keep Beltran in K.C. I doubt he would have stayed if the Royals had lost 90-100 games last year.

It does get frustrating watching the free wheeling of the big boys in the East. The Yanks will have a payroll over $200 million this season with A-Rod. The Royals will stretch to get to $40 mil. The Cardinals are the big spenders here in the midwest with a $70 mil payroll. That will go up dramatically if they try to keep Albert.

There are a couple of economic truths that George has proven better than anyone. "It takes money to make money." and "The returns are usually proportional to the risks."

Does anyone want to bring up the topic of profit sharing again?
Last edited by grammysboy on Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -108)

Postby beezer » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:10 pm

Heimush is right all the way!! I live an hour from Boston and even though I am a Yankee fan, I go to quite a few Sox games each year (Fenway is a great place to see a game, unless you are behind a pole which happened to me once). If they took some of the money they charge for seats and beer and put it back into the team like King George does, A-Rod would already be in Boston!! They could've forked over the extra $$$. Now A-Rod, who has never sniffed a World Series, comes to the favorite to win the A.L. pennant to play next to his best friend Jeter and make the money that he wants!! Tell me A-Rod and Jeter aren't gonna have the time of their lives out on the town!!! He would have been nuts not to take this chance.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TrappedInBristol » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:11 pm

Heimush wrote:
TrappedInBristol wrote:
SoxFanPJ wrote:Just to correct Boston wasn't to cheap, the players association blocked the trade because the total value of a players contract is more important to them then that players happiness

Nice of you to be so concerned over AROD's happiness. I'm sure that's your only motivation.

Stop whining, and root for your damn team.

I think you misunderstood what he said, which was correct. I just believe that Boston could have thrown in some more money to make the whole PA thing moot. BUt what Boston fan said is valid

With all due respect I understand exactly what PJ said. I just happen to think that it's ingenuous, at best. PJ's message suggests concern over the player's happiness. PLEASE. PJ is a disgruntled Red Sox fan, concerned because the Yankees may (MAY) sucessfully complete a deal the Red Sox couldn't pull off. The Red Sox tried to play hard ball, because they thought they were the only game in town. It appears they were wrong. That's life.
TrappedInBristol
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Heimush » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:14 pm

grammysboy wrote:Coming from one of the "small market" cities, I was excited with the Royals coughed up enough money to keep Beltran in K.C. I doubt he would have stayed if the Royals had lost 90-100 games last year.

It does get frustrating watching the free wheeling of the big boys in the East. The Yanks will have a payroll over $200 million this season with A-Rod. The Royals will stretch to get to $40 mil. The Cardinals are the big spenders here in the midwest with a $70 mil payroll. That will go up dramatically if they try to keep Albert.

There are a couple of economic truths that George has proven better than anyone. "It takes money to make money." and "The returns are usually proportional to the risks."

Does anyone want to bring up the topic of profit sharing again?

AGAIN what you dont understand is that Yankee fans are not against a salary cap. What I am against is teams taking money from other teams with noresponsibility to put it back in. The Yankees are going to pay $70 million in LUxury tax this year. IGUARANTEE you that those team that get the money will not increase their payrolls by half that.

Second, A Yankee ticket cast on average 35 bucks now and a beer is about $7. Its not half that in KC. If you paid our prices your team would have alot more money!
"Inconceivable!"

Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Heimush » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:16 pm

TrappedInBristol wrote:
Heimush wrote:
TrappedInBristol wrote:
SoxFanPJ wrote:Just to correct Boston wasn't to cheap, the players association blocked the trade because the total value of a players contract is more important to them then that players happiness

Nice of you to be so concerned over AROD's happiness. I'm sure that's your only motivation.

Stop whining, and root for your damn team.

I think you misunderstood what he said, which was correct. I just believe that Boston could have thrown in some more money to make the whole PA thing moot. BUt what Boston fan said is valid

With all due respect I understand exactly what PJ said. I just happen to think that it's ingenuous, at best. PJ's message suggests concern over the player's happiness. PLEASE. PJ is a disgruntled Red Sox fan, concerned because the Yankees may (MAY) sucessfully complete a deal the Red Sox couldn't pull off. The Red Sox tried to play hard ball, because they thought they were the only game in town. It appears they were wrong. That's life.

Hey again not looking for a fight on this one. :-) I ll be honest, I love it when Boston gets screwed, but the problem with baseball is the people running it namely Bud selig and Gene Orza
"Inconceivable!"

Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:18 am

First of all, the Red Sox DO put most, if not all, of their proceeds back into the team. Thats why they have raised ticket prices, so they could keep up with the Yankees. And the Red Sox also have limitations in their seating.

And to the person who said to just raise ticket and beer prices. Unlike New York, and Boston, not everyone is crazy about baseball and won't pay $35 to see a baseball game. Kansas City isn't sold out every night like Yankee stadium is, so they can't just raise ticket prices. Then no one would show up, and they would have no sponsors.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Heimush » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:22 am

exactly the point Yankee fans will support the team no matter what it costs them. Why should we have the same payroll as KC when we have to pay twice as much to see them?
"Inconceivable!"

Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers