Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod not a yank yet

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:30 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:thats also the reason why the yankees once again have the best team. they do what it takes.

they do what it takes to fall short in the playoffs.... ;-D

Marlins......Angels......D'backs!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:31 am

the red sox definately screwed themselves with this, but the yankeers just screwing baseball in general. AT some point someone needs to take a stand, maybe it will be when the yanks get up to 300 million payrole, but 200 mill is assinine. I understand that th epast few WS winners have been Florida and Anaheim, but can the smaller market teams do against the yanks this year? Their pitching is weaker now, but who of you actually think they wont go out and get another pitcher? They are playing by the rules, but this is bad news for baseball.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:32 am

Anonymous wrote:
ajgdrummer7 wrote:thats also the reason why the yankees once again have the best team. they do what it takes.

they do what it takes to fall short in the playoffs.... ;-D

Marlins......Angels......D'backs!

they also do what it takes to accquire 26 world series championships, nearly 20 more than any other team in history.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:32 am

Anonymous wrote:the red sox definately screwed themselves with this, but the yankeers just screwing baseball in general. AT some point someone needs to take a stand, maybe it will be when the yanks get up to 300 million payrole, but 200 mill is assinine. I understand that th epast few WS winners have been Florida and Anaheim, but can the smaller market teams do against the yanks this year? Their pitching is weaker now, but who of you actually think they wont go out and get another pitcher? They are playing by the rules, but this is bad news for baseball.

i dont mean to nitpick, but they way the deal is structured, the yank payroll will "only" be 190 million. i realize this is quite large enough, just wanted to promote accuracy
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Heimush » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:34 am

Anonymous wrote:the red sox definately screwed themselves with this, but the yankeers just screwing baseball in general. AT some point someone needs to take a stand, maybe it will be when the yanks get up to 300 million payrole, but 200 mill is assinine. I understand that th epast few WS winners have been Florida and Anaheim, but can the smaller market teams do against the yanks this year? Their pitching is weaker now, but who of you actually think they wont go out and get another pitcher? They are playing by the rules, but this is bad news for baseball.

no question its bad for baseball.

but so is steroids and revenue sharing. WAKE UP evrybody, its the people running the sport that are the problem. Selig loves this trade. It just put more revenue tax money in the Brewers (selig's)pocket!!!!!!!
"Inconceivable!"

"This word...I do not think it means what you think it means."
Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:39 am

The Yankees DO NOT ruin baseball. George Steinbrenner IS NOT the problem in baseball. The problem in baseball is LACK of George Steinbrenner.

If every team in the MLB had a George Steinbrenner as its owner the MLB would be the most competitive union in the world. He is a competitor and does what it takes to win. If you aren't going to put a quality product on the field...why put a product at all?

The problem in baseball is owners of teams LIKE the Brewers....LIKE the Pirates.....LIKE the Reds. If each MLB Franchise was run like Steinbrenner runs the Yankees, then nobody would be complaining about the Yankees. The problem is that Steinbrenner owns the Yankees so you associate "evil" and "greediness" with them. They want to win. Everyone should. However its a shame that obviously some franchises don't.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:06 am

You guys are giving George a little more credit then deserved. I know he plays by the rules, and i probably would do the same thing. But you are living in a dream world if you think other teams can spend 150 mil a year. NY gets the most revenue, so they have the most to spend. I'm not a NYY fan, but i hope they win 10 straight. Maybe, bb will do something. Out of 30 teams, at least 20 have gotton worse, or done nothing. Maybe 10 teams have actual reason to be excited about bb this year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:14 am

HOOTIE wrote:You guys are giving George a little more credit then deserved. I know he plays by the rules, and i probably would do the same thing. But you are living in a dream world if you think other teams can spend 150 mil a year. NY gets the most revenue, so they have the most to spend. I'm not a NYY fan, but i hope they win 10 straight. Maybe, bb will do something. Out of 30 teams, at least 20 have gotton worse, or done nothing. Maybe 10 teams have actual reason to be excited about bb this year.

Right on, Hootie. Look, I'm a Sox fan, and I don't like this deal. But, I recognize that the Sox are in the upper echelon of teams....

But the Yankees make so much more through TV contracts its amazing. Is it because of their great fans? No. Is it because of the genius of George and Cashman? No. It's because of the NY market. That's all.

We're kidding ourselves if we blame NY or George or give them credit; it's the sytem that is the problem.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby GameOn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:16 am

I'm a huge rangers fan and I have always just kinda cheered for the Red Sox because I can't stand the Yanks, but after all this I must say I really can't stand the Red Sox either. I mean all the Red Sox fans whine about how the yankees spend so much money and get all the good players, but what they really mean is that the yankees spend a bunch of money and WIN because the red sox spend just as much money and I don't see any titles. The red sox fans have nothing to whine about, you had your chance. Tom Hicks was bent over and had his pants down, all they had to do was take the bait but they passed. Too bad for them. Works out better for the rangers anyway ;-D , soriano is a lot better than manny and a helluva lot cheaper. Sorry sox fans, you lose again!
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:20 am

GameOn wrote:I mean all the Red Sox fans whine about how the yankees spend so much money and get all the good players, but what they really mean is that the yankees spend a bunch of money and WIN because the red sox spend just as much money and I don't see any titles.

When you mean "just as much", do you mean about $80-$100 million less? Who are you kidding?

GameOn wrote: The red sox fans have nothing to whine about, you had your chance. Tom Hicks was bent over and had his pants down, all they had to do was take the bait but they passed. Too bad for them. Works out better for the rangers anyway ;-D , soriano is a lot better than manny and a helluva lot cheaper. Sorry sox fans, you lose again!

Soriano is better than Manny? Yes, in fantasy. In the real world? Right.

I'm so glad you're happy to stick it to us; enjoy last place, again.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers