Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's Raining in Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:23 am

When I say they were 20 mil off that doesn't mean they just have to pay 20 mil more for him, A-Rod made like I don't know if I'm right here like 89 mil more than him. THAT IS HUGE and it isn't chump change. Obviously they were trying to cut it down and the players assocation didn't like that so thats why the trade didn't go through...God if we only had to pay 20 mil more for him he would be here by now.
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:24 am

LBJackal wrote:
tlef316 wrote:
Dude86 wrote:Maybe if you actually realized there was baseball outside of the Bronx he would see what Epstein has done. Before last season he brought in great players such as Millar and Ortiz for very little money. And throughout the season he acquired bullpen help that was vital to Boston's success. And also with Schilling, Theo personally convinced him to join the Red Sox. Has Cashman ever convinced any free agents to come to NY using any other methods besides George's blank checks. Didn't think so.

all that great work to turn a second place team into.......................

a second place team with a higher payroll. congrats theo ;-D

2 teams make the ALCS.....Boston was one of those teams. Considering how much NY spends, how can you call Theo a failure for being 2nd best in the AL to a person who will pay any amount of money to win the World Series? And the Yankees lost the World Series. I'd consider them more of a failure than Boston last season.

again, i didnt say the yankees were so great last year. for all the money they spend, they should theoretically win the series every year. but games arent played on paper. technically the yanks were a "failure" last year, but i dont think that theo should be crowned the next billy beane until he beats the yankees. if he is as good as the boston fans believe that he is, i dont think this is an unreasonable request.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:26 am

Trot Nixon wrote:When I say they were 20 mil off that doesn't mean they just have to pay 20 mil more for him, A-Rod made like I don't know if I'm right here like 89 mil more than him. THAT IS HUGE and it isn't chump change. Obviously they were trying to cut it down and the players assocation didn't like that so thats why the trade didn't go through...God if we only had to pay 20 mil more for him he would be here by now.

that is just the thing, i believe every team has 5 million extra dollars a year to spend if they really wanted to. Boston tried to capitalize on A-Rod's desperation to leave texas by asking him to take more money. if i was in charge of the union i would have let him give up his own money, but they didnt.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:31 am

Money ain't a thing....right?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:35 am

ferrari and jaguar switching 4 lanes. top down. screaming out...
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:37 am

That should be the Yanks theme song
Thanks chipper!!!!

Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:40 am

the sox theme song should be a variation of a Beach Boys song....

"and we'll have fun, fun fun till Big Georgie takes the A-Rod away"
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:45 am

BLING BLING...........everytime i come around ya city BLING BLING.........pinky ring worth about 50 BLING BLING.......every time I buy a new ride BLING BLING........lorenzos, on yokohama tires BLING BLING

That's what it's all about.

And I could do as good a job as Cashman is doing (I think Steinbrenner picked him because he likes his name) so how can you consider him a good GM? Is it so hard to say "My boss says you can have as much money as you want if you play for our team."

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:24 am

ajgdrummer7 wrote:A GM is a reflection of the team he builds.

Therefore Cashman is the man because his team is the best.

Cashman is no dummy. But he's not in the elite group imo. Imagine where he would be with a 40 mil payroll?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:29 am

TROT i'm not a Boston or NY fan, but watching that game, it was clear Pedro was losing it. Giambi took him deep twice. After the 2nd shot, i knew Pedro was close to done. Grady deserved to be let go. A mgr has to see that. He can't let him continue, just because, he's the man.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers