Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Yankee's and Stienbrenner, an outsiders perspective.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tribe-Fan » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:23 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:But will you agree that the rules are wrong? That one team shouldn't have a payroll 10 times higher than another team's payroll?

Yes, I can agree with that. I do think the rules need to be fixed, but that was not the point of my post. It seems that most people take their anger at the rules out on the yankees and specifically Steinbrenner, when it is MLB that should get all of the blame. Not some of the blame, all of the blame. But until that time people should get off George's back for doing what any other reasonable person would do in his shoes.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chaindog35 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:29 am

I think you're a bit naive in saying baseball is a game. It's a business. and in New York it's a very profitable business. If you think for a second it is about the game, then why did A-Rod take that huge contract that put him in a position to never win a ring? He did it because he was greedy, his agent was greedy and the players' association was greedy. That's why baseball has become less fun to watch. It's all about money, it's about a few teams having all of the talent (ie: yanks and red sox) and the rest of us left to dream that our team can somehow scratch together enough money just to be competitive
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:45 am

An obvious solution to a few problems in MLB would be to move the Expos to the New York area. New York had 3 teams before the Dodgers and Giants headed west in the '50's. There are more people living there now, so they could support 3 teams again. If you divide the New York market among 3 teams instead of the current 2, you could reduce Yankees and Mets' revenues and get the Expos out of Limbo World.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby Madison » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:55 am

Tribe-Fan wrote:Do you really think he should spend less because other teams spend less? What would be his reason, to be nice? Because he feels sorry for the other teams? That is a ridiculous argument.

I just said basically the same thing in my thread about this. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:41 am

The red sox due make a lot of money and more than most teams in baseball, but they dont make enough to keep pace with the yanks. Without A-rod their payrole is still 120 mill, they just did not want to get up as high as the yanks. Their is a reason the NFL has far surpassed baseball for popularity, baseball is a farse now, and until there is a cap, nothing is going to change that

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby swingaway » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:45 am

Anonymous wrote:The red sox due make a lot of money and more than most teams in baseball, but they dont make enough to keep pace with the yanks. Without A-rod their payrole is still 120 mill, they just did not want to get up as high as the yanks. Their is a reason the NFL has far surpassed baseball for popularity, baseball is a farse now, and until there is a cap, nothing is going to change that

exactly baseball needs some sort of cap desperatly. The luxury tax should get increased i mean this pentaly doesnt seem to stop the yankees its just like chump change to them. I propose increasing the penalty to 60 mill standard penalty. Then doate the money to chairtys and youth baseball leagues. This will make teams think twice about goign over that threshold. And before peole start people compalining about how this will limit spending it wont and it would the game more fun and fair and by the way no one told you owner to go over the threshold of when the penalty starts to kick in.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby K-Y Jellys » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:33 am

The rich get richer...Baseball needs some type of system like football and basketball. Otherwise, we will have 3-5 dynasties and 20+ quadruple A teams competing for the leftovers. The owners need to open their books and the union needs to truly negotiate.
K-Y Jellys
GO CATS!
K-Y Jellys
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby blankman » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:41 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:An obvious solution to a few problems in MLB would be to move the Expos to the New York area. New York had 3 teams before the Dodgers and Giants headed west in the '50's. There are more people living there now, so they could support 3 teams again. If you divide the New York market among 3 teams instead of the current 2, you could reduce Yankees and Mets' revenues and get the Expos out of Limbo World.

Please explain to me where the Expos will find their fans in NY. You look at the city and the vast majority of people have some baseball team that they are affiliated with- Yankees, Mets or any other team. The people who have no favorite team cannot possibly be counted on to all of a sudden become die hard baseball fans and attend Expos games.

Sure it would be nice if you could simply divide NY's market into 3, but its not possible. Yes, using very simple economics- dividing the market by 3, a third team could be supported, but again this idea is shortsighted. The fact remains that the Expos would have few fans in relation to any other team and would not have enough fans to profitably fill the stadium and sell merchandise.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby djacks » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:48 am

I kinda like Steinbrenner, sure he spends a lot of money but hey its good for baseball.

It's good for baseball... 8-o ...that is the most idiotic statement I've seen yet...

George Steinbrenner is not the problem...I think the real culprit is the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary...yes, I'm talking about one Mr. George Constanza...

Seriously though, Big Stein just does what he thinks is best for his team. You can't fault him for that. But this so-called "system" that baseball has in place is a joke. Does spending $200 million guarentee you a championship...NO...but it sure as hell makes it a lot more possible.

Baseball has got to come up with a more competitive system or the Yankees will eventually have every superstar in the league on their team. I'm not exaggerating either. I truly believe they could do just that. I hate the Yankees, but I hate them because they're fun to root against, and I love seeing them spend all that money and still not win it all. But they are a product of the system. Not the cause of it.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:51 am

swingaway wrote:
[exactly baseball needs some sort of cap desperatly. The luxury tax should get increased i mean this pentaly doesnt seem to stop the yankees its just like chump change to them. I propose increasing the penalty to 60 mill standard penalty. Then doate the money to chairtys and youth baseball leagues. This will make teams think twice about goign over that threshold. And before peole start people compalining about how this will limit spending it wont and it would the game more fun and fair and by the way no one told you owner to go over the threshold of when the penalty starts to kick in.

NO, NO, NO, NO.

Caps solve nothing. They merely create strong incentives for teams to throw a lousy product out on the field and coast on the success of others. They force teams to make stupid moves merely to find "cap room" leading to even more absurd moves than what we see in baseball today.

If markets are unfair (and really, the ONLY situation that's a problem is NYC), the only real solution is to make markets more equal. The real solution, as someone else mentioned, is to move another team inot the NYC area. There is no doubt that a team in Staten Island, Northern NJ, or Southern Connecticut would be an easy sell. There are successful minor league franchises in all those areas that would provide a strong base of fans.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers