Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many starters, and relievers should i have?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many starters, and relievers should i have?

Postby RynMan » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:23 am

Just wondering, in yahoo you get 2 slots for starters, two fro relievers, and another 3 for either. Should i have 4 starters? i dont know how many of each to take! what would be the benefits of taking starters over relievers (If any)?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How many starters, and relievers should i have?

Postby swarmee » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:16 am

RynMan wrote:Just wondering, in yahoo you get 2 slots for starters, two fro relievers, and another 3 for either. Should i have 4 starters? i dont know how many of each to take! what would be the benefits of taking starters over relievers (If any)?

If you're playing HTH with bench spots, make sure to get at least 4 relievers, and then start your starters on their days and pick up other ones late in the draft that will give you good ERA/WHIP.
Some people actually like to play all relievers by finding closers that were starters last year (Chacon, Kim, etc). I don't think that's a good strategy in HTH, since then a blown save really kills your ERA/WHIP for the week since there's fewer innings to spread the damage out.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mikcou » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:21 am

Depending on how many bench spots there are in a league, I usually take 3-4 relievers and around 6 starters
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -63)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:56 am

My league is a 16 team that uses holds, so I usually go 5-6 starters and 5-6 relievers (2-3 closers and 3-4 set-up guys). That gives me a enough innings to avoid poor match-ups with my starters. It helps if one of the relievers is a SP, because then I can sit him there is only one guy is starting.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Return to Baseball Leftovers