Return to Baseball Leftovers

this may be asking a lot but

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: this may be asking a lot but

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:08 pm

I would suggest keeping an eye on injury reports too. I am not a big fan of taking guys w/ any injury concerns in the first few rounds or really at all, because there's always another guy w/ similar value and no injury stuff right next to him on the draft board. Someone else can have the 'fun' of reading about how they are underperforming as they are not at 100%, then they are taking a couple of days off, then they are flying to LA to see Dr. AmazingNewSurgicalTechnique and before they are on the DL until June of next year.

Not that we Cubs fans have not seen a lot of that sort of thing w/ Kerry Wood, etc. but there are bunches of fantasy players that you can see over the last few years who had 'slight' concerns at the start of the year who ended up tanking it or at least not being worth what was paid for them.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quicksilver8 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 pm

In my opinion, you have to worry about your own team first. If you have already drafted a stud 1b and when it gets back to you, the best available is a firstbasen...you can certainly draft him if you have a utility spot to fill...but you have to consider how many other players are gone at other positions as well. When in doubt, draft what your team needs, not best available. You will field a competitive team using that logic.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:15 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:In my opinion, you have to worry about your own team first. If you have already drafted a stud 1b and when it gets back to you, the best available is a firstbasen...you can certainly draft him if you have a utility spot to fill...but you have to consider how many other players are gone at other positions as well. When in doubt, draft what your team needs, not best available. You will field a competitive team using that logic.

That may be true at a point in the draft.

But the first 5-7 rounds or so is not that point.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers