Return to Baseball Leftovers

who would u take with the 2nd pick?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: who would u take with the 2nd pick?!

Postby sn17 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 pm

KronJon wrote:Well I just got 3rd pick... A-Rod and Hanley were off the board and I took Wright. Hopefully I don't regret passing on Pujols or Johan.

Wright is going to be a 30/30 guy this year and though Pujols puts up good numbers his elbow is really scaring my this year and for that I won't draft him. I know people have reason why Santana should be picked high but I don't see it. I can't justify picking a pitcher that high no matter who he is. I think there is more talent that could be had than a pitcher.
sn17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:02 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:I'll take Santana.

;-D

I'm surprised at all the Santana love at the #2 pick. I would think your hitting would really suffer knowing that the top 20 hitters would all be off the board before you got to pick again. Of course you might be able to grab Berkman, Teixeira or Phillips but still, I know I couldn't take him that early.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -15)

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm

sn17 wrote:
KronJon wrote:Well I just got 3rd pick... A-Rod and Hanley were off the board and I took Wright. Hopefully I don't regret passing on Pujols or Johan.

Wright is going to be a 30/30 guy this year and though Pujols puts up good numbers his elbow is really scaring my this year and for that I won't draft him. I know people have reason why Santana should be picked high but I don't see it. I can't justify picking a pitcher that high no matter who he is. I think there is more talent that could be had than a pitcher.

Honestly, most years I wouldn't have a problem using my first round pick on a Johan Santana that has gone to the National League on a team with great run support. However, this year is different. Guys like Roy Oswalt, Roy Halladay, and Carlos Zambrano have fallen and can be drafted so late this year that I am perfectly fine waiting for those guys to anchor my staff. I've drafted two teams this year and ended up with Oswalt on both of them. I got Oswalt in the 6th round in one draft, and the 7th round in the other. For that reason, I'll take David Wright with my first pick.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:22 pm

haven't made up my mind between reyes, hanley, and maybe holliday
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -36)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Wright or Reyes. Depends on how many SB I think will be available later in the draft.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby abrage22 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm

I really agree with redsoxnations's post, thats why i hate this pick, i don't feel wright it worth the 2nd pick, but he's still to me the best and safest pick, and yes all the great players will be off by the time i get my next pick, maybe someone really good could fall but im not counting on it. if i wanted to trade our first round picks with the guy who drafts first, what else should i give him??? so im saying we switch picks for only the 1st round, what else should i give him in return??? what round????
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -213)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:19 pm

I'd take Wright and I'd still rather have the 2nd pick than the late picks. You win the draft in the later rounds and the best draft value is ALWAYS being in the first few picks. The last pick in the draft never 'catches up'. I shake my head when people get to pick draft order and someone chooses the last pick over like the 4th pick, that is just bad value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby AllDay » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Wright or Reyes.

Pujols or Hanley also warrant consideration - but there's issues with both of those players where their value might be negativvely impacted.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Wright is a solid #2
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:00 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:I'll take Santana.

;-D

I'm surprised at all the Santana love at the #2 pick. I would think your hitting would really suffer knowing that the top 20 hitters would all be off the board before you got to pick again. Of course you might be able to grab Berkman, Teixeira or Phillips but still, I know I couldn't take him that early.

Not only that you must be expecting absolutely massive things out of Johan to justify him being taken so high. The move from the AL to NL should lower his ratios and increase his K's a bit, but I don't think it'll be a dramatic enough improvement to suggest he's a #2 pick, even though he could very well wind up a top 5 pick next year.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers