Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where is the right place to pick Brandon Phillips?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where is the right place to pick Brandon Phillips?

Postby pattylinboy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:19 pm

and do you think he will repeat his '07 season?
pattylinboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where is the right place to pick Brandon Phillips?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:16 am

I think he's the #1 2B in '08, but a little risky for an early pick IMO. He probably won't drop to where I think he should be drafted (mid-to-late third), but I'm predicting 2nd round #'s.

.270/35/95/95/25 would be my prediction. As the previous poster stated, maintaining that average seems a little unlikely to me. If he's batting in the power positions (3,4, or 5) he tends to swing for the fences a bit. Luckily, he mashes. I see more home runs and less stolen bases from him in '08.

Be forewarned, he's a money line-drive hitter, so a few of those home runs I predicted could turn out to be doubles.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AEMRICH » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:38 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:I think he's the #1 2B in '08, but a little risky for an early pick IMO. He probably won't drop to where I think he should be drafted (mid-to-late third), but I'm predicting 2nd round #'s.

.270/35/95/95/25 would be my prediction. As the previous poster stated, maintaining that average seems a little unlikely to me. If he's batting in the power positions (3,4, or 5) he tends to swing for the fences a bit. Luckily, he mashes. I see more home runs and less stolen bases from him in '08.

Be forewarned, he's a money line-drive hitter, so a few of those home runs I predicted could turn out to be doubles.

i disagree, Utley is the clear cut #1 2B he is head and shoulders above Phillips. I even think i might take BJ Upton over Phillips
College Tuition: $12,000
Room & Board: $5,600
Books: $500
Food Plan: $2000
Not going to college and living with your parents: Priceless
AEMRICH
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:47 am

AEMRICH wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:I think he's the #1 2B in '08, but a little risky for an early pick IMO. He probably won't drop to where I think he should be drafted (mid-to-late third), but I'm predicting 2nd round #'s.

i disagree, Utley is the clear cut #1 2B he is head and shoulders above Phillips. I even think i might take BJ Upton over Phillips

I think I'd take double the SB's with equivalent (more IMO) HR's than Utley to the bank any day of the week. Upton is interesting though, not sure where to peg him.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:02 am

He's going way too early in almost all drafts imo.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby The Cow » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:29 am

I think Phillips is a safe bet to at the very least come close to his numbers of a year ago. Phillips is 27 so he is in his prime. Hard to go 30/30, but I think he posts numbers very close to that and who knows he could improve especially in the power dept. Phillips is a very good base runner so he should still steal the bags 80% success rate. Only 26 doubles though so he could lose some of his HRs as they could become doubles this year instead of HRs. His average well it won't be great .280 seems about right. But he is just hitting his stride so who knows. I would think a line of .280 95 25 95 30 is a good bet.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 am

I don't like Phillips, I think he is a 3rd or 4th round guy going in the 2nd round because of his career year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 am

he is a solid ball player.
But he has that new manager, dusty bakers who always adds a variable in.
And I dont see him improving but I do not see him falling much.
I would take him early mid to late 3rd.

and whoever said Phillips is better than Utley?
I brather have Utley all day.
Even though Phillips had more HR SB and Runs.
It was his career year and Utley does what he does consistently besides SB.
And as well Phillips batter .288 and Utley batted .332

and do not forget Utley played in 30 less games.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -216)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:19 am

If you can get him in the early third, you've done well. Late, late second is good value too.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers