Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where is the right place to pick Brandon Phillips?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where is the right place to pick Brandon Phillips?

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

The Cow wrote:
KronJon wrote:
Yoda wrote:My money is on Weeks that he earns more relative to his cost compared to Phillips in 2008.

Weeks still has a higher ceiling and is younger. Injuries have held him back the last two seasons but when he was finally healthy towards the end of the year, he was awesome.

Exactly. The entire point of the comparison is value relative to where the player is drafted. Phillips is just not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick when you can have Weeks much later.

As for "which numbers" I would rather have... well, I disagree with your prediction on Phillips stats. I see him closer to 20-20 than 30-30. However, even disregarding that and choosing from the predictions you listed, I would still rather have Weeks since he won't take up my 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'll get a stud in those rounds such as David Ortiz, Carlos Beltran, etc.. and then take Weeks much later on who I expect to be a top 2B this year. It is all about the value they provide relative to where they get drafted. Right now, taking Phillips in the 2nd or 3rd round is essentially banking on a repeat of last season, which I just don't see happening.

Well I think I can find a OF or 1B at the time you are drafting Weeks. So you get say Beltran and Weeks and I get Phillips and OF/1B somebody will slip. Not sure on which guy. I do know that I had the choice of keeping a 31 year old Beltran or a 27 year old BP and chose BP. Ortiz would be a tougher call, I would probably pick big Papi.

The Cow

This type of argument is tricky since it really depends on how you draft the rest of your team but...

Using Couchmanagers in this case you would end up with:
Phillips/V Wells
Weeks/Berkman(1B) or Weeks/Ichiro(OF)

I didn't count Upton since he also qualifies at 2B and I think he is better than Phillips. I don't know about you but I'll take the Weeks combo over Phillips.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 am

This type of argument is tricky since it really depends on how you draft the rest of your team but...

Using Couchmanagers in this case you would end up with:
Phillips/V Wells
Weeks/Berkman(1B) or Weeks/Ichiro(OF)

I didn't count Upton since he also qualifies at 2B and I think he is better than Phillips. I don't know about you but I'll take the Weeks combo over Phillips.[/quote]

If I were to draft a player in Weeks slot or ADP, I would be more inclined to take one of the SPs or RPs, good value there based on couchmanagers list. Maine, Cain, Jenks Cordero, Hoffman, Hill, Liriano, Valverde etc... I take all of those guys over Weeks. Just saying. I would also take BP over Berkman or Ichiro, I think both are headed for a down turn.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:07 am

If I were to draft a player in Weeks slot or ADP, I would be more inclined to take one of the SPs or RPs, good value there based on couchmanagers list. Maine, Cain, Jenks Cordero, Hoffman, Hill, Liriano, Valverde etc... I take all of those guys over Weeks. Just saying. I would also take BP over Berkman or Ichiro, I think both are headed for a down turn.

The Cow

I was only using Berkman/Ichiro as an example since you originally said that you would rather take BP and then 1B/OF where Weeks would go.

We can sit here and argue all you want Chief. You like him. We get it. A lot of people do. But a lot of other people don't feel as comfortable taking him in the 2nd round.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Cow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:44 am

Yoda wrote:

The Cow

I was only using Berkman/Ichiro as an example since you originally said that you would rather take BP and then 1B/OF where Weeks would go.

We can sit here and argue all you want Chief. You like him. We get it. A lot of people do. But a lot of other people don't feel as comfortable taking him in the 2nd round.

Chief? Alright Ace I hear ya! I wasn't arguing, man can't we all just get along?

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers