Return to Baseball Leftovers

'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:30 pm

Baker has repeatedly talked about the desire to have a do-it-all leadoff hitter with speed. What kinds of hitters is he looking for further down the lineup? Does he want guys with lofty on-base percentages? The answer will likely not sit well with fans of the book “Moneyball,” because Baker said he believes the OBP statistic is overvalued.

“I’m big on driving in runs and scoring runs,” Baker said. “Guys in the middle should score about close to equal to what they drive in. On-base percentage, that’s fine and dandy. But a lot of times guys get so much into on-base percentage that they cease to swing. It’s becoming a little bit out of control.

“What you do is run the pitcher’s count up, that helps,” Baker said. “You put him in the stretch, that helps. But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you’re clogging up the bases.”

MLB.com | Dusty's IQ is like 40...

FJM's Reaction...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Juan Pierre to Cincinnati? :-b
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -12)

Postby JimmyBaseball » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:39 pm

I thought the Reds were actually looking good for the upcoming year. They have youth and veteran leadership. Their staff should be decent. Then they went out and hired old Dustbag. I'm amazed this guy has found another job. What a step back for the town of Cincinnatti.
"When I knocked a guy down, there was no second part to the story."

~Bob Gibson
JimmyBaseball
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:47 pm

I still think OBP is underrated by the majority of the baseball world, since AVG is the stat that is always talked about on TV and shown under people's names on tv. Baker's logic is so contradictory, he likes a play like Neifi who is typically a singles hitter, not even a decent one though. What is the difference between walking and hitting a single(when no one is on base for simplicity)? One guarantees that the pitcher threw at least 4 pitches.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby zepfan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:10 pm

This from FJM made me laugh:

I got it. He wants solo home run experts. That's it. He wants really fast runners, who will hit solo home runs and then run really fast around the bases. Okay. My apologies.

At the very least, Baker's logic provides great fodder for sarcastic sportswriters. :-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -182)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:24 pm

That's a baseball man right there. Ya gotta knock 'em in to win.

I'm liking him more and more each day (minus the talk of carrying 3 catchers again).
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:50 am

Doesn't it drive you mad that someone like Dusty can have a job "in charge" of a team and people with something to offer like DePo can't?

At least we'll get some hilarious comments from him while he either falls flat on his face (fingers crossed), or the Reds win while carrying him.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm

On Wednesday in Clearwater against the Philadelphia Phillies, Dusty Baker had Ryan Freel leading off and Norris Hopper batting second.

On Tuesday at home against the Minnesota Twins, Baker had Hopper leading off and Freel batting second. “In case I play both at the same time, I’m seeing who is better where in the order,” said Baker. “I want to see where they hit the best. If I want to hit-and-run, which one can handle that bat better. I have some thoughts, but … you know.”

Hopper wins on that point.

“If I want to double steal, which one is better on the lead and which one is better on the back side?” Baker added. “If I need to bunt, are they even, or is one better than the other (Hopper is a landslide winner in the bunting category)?

“I need to know which one is the smarter hitter - which one can take and which one is a better hitter with two strikes. I have a pretty good idea already, but I have to see.”

Baker said he sometimes sits in his office staring into space, pondering and pontificating over things of this nature, “And sometime I just sit here and nothing comes.”

That's what statistics are for, Dusty...
FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:23 pm

No matter what happen, Dustbag is off to a quick start clogging ears with odd sound bites.

Baker said he sometimes sits in his office staring into space, pondering and pontificating over things of this nature, “And sometime I just sit here and nothing comes.”

I had no idea just how much I have in common with a major league manager.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:07 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:That's a baseball man right there. Ya gotta knock 'em in to win.

I'm liking him more and more each day (minus the talk of carrying 3 catchers again).

I hope you are a Cubs or Brewers fan. Yes you have to knock them in to win but getting them on base is going to always help no matter what and turning over the lineup is what drives runs scored as much as anything else. Get that starter out of the game early and go to work beating on the bad middle relief that most teams have. Tire out the RPs in game one of the series and you have an advantage all series long.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers