Return to Baseball Leftovers

'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm

It is mind blowing how idiotic his whole "clogging bases" theory is. This is a man that gets paid to control baseball teams on the highest level possible. Unbelievable.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:22 pm

:-b

Thanks h0rt. I needed this one. ;-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Baker has repeatedly talked about the desire to have a do-it-all leadoff hitter with speed. What kinds of hitters is he looking for further down the lineup? Does he want guys with lofty on-base percentages? The answer will likely not sit well with fans of the book “Moneyball,” because Baker said he believes the OBP statistic is overvalued.

“I’m big on driving in runs and scoring runs,” Baker said. “Guys in the middle should score about close to equal to what they drive in. On-base percentage, that’s fine and dandy. But a lot of times guys get so much into on-base percentage that they cease to swing. It’s becoming a little bit out of control.

“What you do is run the pitcher’s count up, that helps,” Baker said. “You put him in the stretch, that helps. But your job in the middle is to either score them or drive them in. The name of the game is scoring runs. Sometimes, you get so caught up in on-base percentage that you’re clogging up the bases.”

MLB.com | Dusty's IQ is like 40...

FJM's Reaction...

I think I have an idea of what dusty is "trying" to say, and I actually don't disagree with it.

I'd want my middle of the order hitters to be agressive when they're ahead of the count with runners on. I'd be a little frustrated if my big hitters were trying to draw the walk all the time instead of driving a pitch while ahead in the count. Pujols has always been an extremely agressive hitter with men on base with great success. I believe that is what he's getting at, i think.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 pm

swinging at bad pitches just because runners are on is not a good idea in my opinion. I'd rather my player takes a BB. There really is no case where the guy ends up with a BB and it is a bad thing, if the ball was out of the strike zone even a good hitter is probably hurting the team by swinging at it more often than helping it. Except maybe for freaks like Vlad who can hit balls anywhere.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby RynMan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Exactly, Ender.

What it comes down to, is that you need the patience to take balls, and swing at strikes. It's that simple. You take walks when they are given to you. Guys don't go to the plate looking for a walk, but certain guys are better at determining which pitches are strikes than others.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:09 pm

I kind of thought about clogging the bases when I read a blurb that Holliday might bat cleanup for the Rockies this year. Presumably they'd slot aging OBP machine Todd Helton into the 3 hole so you can pretty much 86 triples for Holliday. Maybe more RBI but I presume Helton would be capable of chugging to 3B on a double most of the time so he shouldn't get in the way of that too much? :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby brock middlebrook » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:57 pm

What Dusty is getting at, and Ramst touched on this, is that at some point you need to drive in runs. If your middle order guys are clogging the bases, then it falls on your lower order sucky hitters to have to bring those guys in.

I don't advocate swinging at bad pitches, but a middle order guy needs to expand his strike zone a bit.
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Maybe Dusty just needs a change to a higher fiber diet?
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I think Dusty might be worse than Joe Morgan
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:05 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:I think Dusty might be worse than Joe Morgan

I'd pay to see them debate each other.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)