;-D
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:44 am

i think dusty needs to go back to sanfran., that way he wont have to worry about clogged bases.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 am

So does this mean that Soriano will bat leadoff? I think his value there is the highest in terms of fantasy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Yoda wrote:So does this mean that Soriano will bat leadoff? I think his value there is the highest in terms of fantasy.

Any reason why? I was hoping his RBIs would increase from the 70 he had last year.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby seancasey21 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 pm

I am a lifelong Reds fan and never have I been so disappointed in a Reds move in my life. I'm talking about getting rid of Rose, Perez, all the Marge year embarrassments like decimating the scouting system, the Bowden embarrassments, other managerial headscratchers like Boone, Narron, etc. If there was 1 person in the entire baseball world that I would NOT want managing this team with their exciting young talent (Phillips, Dunn, Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, etc) it would be this archaic clown. I used to just sit back and laugh when I watched the Reds play the Cubs and his consistently ridiculous lineups and game moves-yeah good idea to bat Neifi leadoff or 2nd more than half the year and give him almost 600 abs. He is an arrogant, walking contradiction. You can find an embarrassing quote almost every day from this guy. I firmly believe that the teams that won while he was managing did so in spite of him, not because of him. There are a lot of Reds fans out there fearing for the health of their young pitchers, and are afraid that better, more productive players will ride the bench or be in AAA while veteran out machines get their AB's.

I only feel slightly better :~(
seancasey21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:20 pm

seancasey21 wrote:I am a lifelong Reds fan and never have I been so disappointed in a Reds move in my life. I'm talking about getting rid of Rose, Perez, all the Marge year embarrassments like decimating the scouting system, the Bowden embarrassments, other managerial headscratchers like Boone, Narron, etc. If there was 1 person in the entire baseball world that I would NOT want managing this team with their exciting young talent (Phillips, Dunn, Bailey, Cueto, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, etc) it would be this archaic clown. I used to just sit back and laugh when I watched the Reds play the Cubs and his consistently ridiculous lineups and game moves-yeah good idea to bat Neifi leadoff or 2nd more than half the year and give him almost 600 abs. He is an arrogant, walking contradiction. You can find an embarrassing quote almost every day from this guy. I firmly believe that the teams that won while he was managing did so in spite of him, not because of him. There are a lot of Reds fans out there fearing for the health of their young pitchers, and are afraid that better, more productive players will ride the bench or be in AAA while veteran out machines get their AB's.

I only feel slightly better :~(

There, there. Dusty prolly has a short shelf-life. He might not be clogging the Reds bench for more than a couple seasons.

Oh, that didn't help you feel better, did it. Sorry.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Ender wrote:swinging at bad pitches just because runners are on is not a good idea in my opinion. I'd rather my player takes a BB. There really is no case where the guy ends up with a BB and it is a bad thing, if the ball was out of the strike zone even a good hitter is probably hurting the team by swinging at it more often than helping it. Except maybe for freaks like Vlad who can hit balls anywhere.

I don't mean to imply that a player should swing at bad pitches by any means. Many times a player will take the first pitch regardless of what it is, and this is where I see Pujols being agressive. He'll often swing at a first pitch strike with RISP at an attempt to drive some runs in. I completely agree, don't expand a strike zone and refuse to take a walk with runners on.

Dusty did not phrase the comment well at all. But, in an attempt to argue for his comment, I somewhat understand the approach of wanting your middle of the order hitters being aggressive.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I wonder what the chances of Bailey or Cuerto having an amazing season and then struggle with injuries for the rest of their career. :-/
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -273)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:49 pm

This man makes the baby Jesus cry... :~(
Does the aggressive stuff go for Adam Dunn, too? “Like I said, I don’t like called third strikes. Dunn’s not a kid. He’s not old, but he ain’t a kid. I bet you he gets better. He’s from Texas, right? There’s not a cow in Texas if he don’t get better.”
[...]
On Votto: “He needs to swing some more. I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren’t the only criteria. I’d like to see him more aggressive.”

“A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids. Most of the time you’ve got to put handcuffs on a young to keep him from swinging.”

Reds Insider | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby jcobb79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:02 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:I think Dusty might be worse than Joe Morgan

Hey now don't say anything crazy no one is worse the Joe Morgan. I was in Barnes and Noble and came upon Baseball for Dummies. Guess who was on the cover Joe Morgan talk about irony. I really think he should be the one reading it not writing it.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers