Return to Baseball Leftovers

'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby statsman88 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Reds manager Dusty Baker has already decided he doesn't like Joey Votto's approach at the plate.
Thats the approach that led to a .321/.360/.548 line and 17 RBI in 84 at-bats following his callup last season. "He needs to swing some more," Baker said. "I talked to him about that. Strikeouts aren't the only criteria. I'd like to see him more aggressive." Baker doesn't want Votto, Adam Dunn or anyone else taking called third strikes. "I really, really hate the called third strike," Baker said. "I hate that. You're guess and you ain't ready to hit."
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

From ESPN's Baseball Blog:
Dusty Baker says the game's current emphasis on on-base percentage is taking away from something else hitters need to do: swing the bat.

"A lot of this on-base percentage is taking away the aggressiveness of some young kids," he said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Most of the time you've got to put handcuffs on a young guy to keep him from swinging. [The young players are] playing good, real good. I'd like to see them more aggressive."

"I really, really hate the called third strike. I hate that. You're guessing and you ain't ready to hit."

The topic came up when Baker was discussing his desire to see Joey Votto, who has twice led his minor-league teams in walks, get more aggressive at the plate. Baker says the same goes for Adam Dunn, too.

"He doesn't have to tell me," Dunn said, according to the report. "I know I [need to be aggressive]. It's hard for me to swing at that first pitch. But that may be the best one I get."
-end-

Wow 8-o
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 'Clogging Bases' = Dusty Baker's Favorite Phrase

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:01 pm

I don't think Dusty understands that you only get 27 outs per game.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers