Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba's Stock Plummeting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joba's Stock Plummeting?

Postby MTUCache » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Surprising news to me at least from ESPN this weekend...

According to ESPN, and confirmed(?) by Joba Chamberlain, he's going to start the season in a setup roll, head down the minors for a stint in June to stretch his arm out, and then be added to the rotation?

Definitely a strange move. I'm not saying it can't work, but it's not something I've heard of too many times (especially for ROY candidate type pitchers).

How does being a setup-up man (or in the minors) until almost the ASB impact Joba's value? Is he even draftable at this point? It seems to me this puts him in just about the same boat as Betancout, Bell, or Okajima...

Is this the new MO for the Yankees with their young arms? Is Hughes going to be slated for the same?

I suppose later in the season the RP/SP eligibility would be a plus, especially if he can translate that sparkling ERA/WHIP into 50+ IP in the second half... but I don't know if it's worth stashing a setup-man that's throwing the 8th in front of a nearly indestructable Rivera.

Any other views on this from the experts around here?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joba's Stock Plummeting?

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 pm

This isn't new news. I think it's been a least a month since this was first announced and, frankly, think it's great for Joba and the Yanks. Post All-Star you'll wish you'd had him stashed.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:46 pm

I don't think his stock has plummeted. People still draft the likes of Accordo, Broxton and Betancourt, and Joba is right up there with them as a reliever. Obviously Chamberlain's stock is higher than those guys because of his future as a starter.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -9)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I don't see Joba's stock plummeting a ton either. I also think Joba in the bullpen is not a setback, but could be beneficial as he transitions into becoming a starter. Joba seemed ahead of the curve in a setup role in getting ahead of hitters and putting them away consistently, but pitching in the bullpen won't give him immediate strain on that arm. I think in the second half, Joba will make the transition, but he'll figure to be fantastic as a MR in trimming those ratios and has better upside than a top 5 MR.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm

This isn't a new type of plan either. It's pretty much the same thing that Liriano and Santana did. I think it is the most effective way of limiting innings, 140-150 in Joba's case.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby Field » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:34 pm

A couple of notes on this one:

I wouldn't absolutely bank on him starting at any point this year for two reasons:

1. What if no one emerges as a viable 8th inning option for the Yankees during the season? Will they really take him out of the role?

2. If they are in the middle of a wild card race, will they really send Joba down to the minors for a month to get his arm stretched out? With the Indians/Tigers and the Jays/Red Sox the WC race should go down to the wire.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -20)

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Field wrote:A couple of notes on this one:

I wouldn't absolutely bank on him starting at any point this year for two reasons:

1. What if no one emerges as a viable 8th inning option for the Yankees during the season? Will they really take him out of the role?

2. If they are in the middle of a wild card race, will they really send Joba down to the minors for a month to get his arm stretched out? With the Indians/Tigers and the Jays/Red Sox the WC race should go down to the wire.

1. I suppose that is possible that they would leave him there, but I think they have to realize that is really shortsighted. They would be sacrificing his whole career as a starter for one season of relief pitching.

2. It won't take a whole month of being in the minors, probably 2 weeks. I think they said he would throw something like 15 innings in the minors to stretch himself out.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -50)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Field wrote:A couple of notes on this one:

Yeah, be wary of this. Once the Yankees realize that their bullpen is a giant pile of BS outside of Rivera, they'll be a lot less eager to move Joba from the setup role. That is, unless, their rotation proves to be a giant pile of BS as well.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby Generals94 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I think it depends on what you are expecting from Joba. I believe as the season progresses the Yankees are going to realize he is their best option as a bridge to Rivera from the 8th inning. I am not sure how they think as a SP he will thrown 100 mph on a consistant basis and not damage his arm. My hope is that they use him sparingly so that his arm will not only make it until the end of the year, but also to be ready next season.

As to your question, I think Joba will be a great Middle Relief souce of K's, WHIP & ERA. He may start a few games but I would be surprised if he starts more then 7 games.

I would draft him as a stud Middle Relief pitcher. I think he will be really valuable in leagues that use holds. But do not over value.

Bottom line: The Yankees will need to be patient with Joba. So will anybody that drafts him.
Generals94
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers