Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Cust

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jack Cust

Postby Carey Saders » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:12 pm

Couldn't believe no one drafted him in our dynasty league that counts BB, so I just picked him up off waivers.
Thanks to Super Manny for the sig!
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:46 pm

eftda wrote:His horrible 2nd half numbers (batting average =.229, Hr = 11) is making me drift away in normal 5x5 12 team leagues. However, he has value in deep leagues (H2H World Series) and AL only leagues.

He hit .247 after the break.

I can't say I'm crazy for this guy, but you can probably get him fairly cheap this year, which isn't always easy for a guy who has 30 HR potential.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby thursday_13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Half Massed wrote:According to athleticsnation.com, Cust added 27 pounds of muscle this offseason and seems to be really motived. He could be a surprise guy this season if he gets the playing time. I'm of the mind that he will.

Now wait just a minute here! 27 lbs of muscle!!! And you didn't raise both eyebrows to a level about three feet over your head! You don't just put on 27 lbs of "muscle". I mean, gaining 27 lbs is hard enough as it is. We're talking about a whole 5 months. That's more than 5 lbs a month. You cannot put on muscle mass that fast without...well you know, cheating.

If this is true, let me be the first to predict Cust to fail a random performance enhancer test. It's just not reasonable to gain 27 lbs in that short of a time. Lets not forget that cust has already been named in the Mitchell report.

Can I get someone to back me up here!
thursday_13
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Roto24Seven » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:20 am

thursday_13 wrote:
Half Massed wrote:According to athleticsnation.com, Cust added 27 pounds of muscle this offseason and seems to be really motived. He could be a surprise guy this season if he gets the playing time. I'm of the mind that he will.

Now wait just a minute here! 27 lbs of muscle!!! And you didn't raise both eyebrows to a level about three feet over your head! You don't just put on 27 lbs of "muscle". I mean, gaining 27 lbs is hard enough as it is. We're talking about a whole 5 months. That's more than 5 lbs a month. You cannot put on muscle mass that fast without...well you know, cheating.

If this is true, let me be the first to predict Cust to fail a random performance enhancer test. It's just not reasonable to gain 27 lbs in that short of a time. Lets not forget that cust has already been named in the Mitchell report.

If that is true and he did indeed gain 27 lbs. of muscle, I would certainly back you up.

Having said that, if he is clean (and not presuming that the contrary is true) and if he produces like he did last year over a full season, I like him for .250-35-110 with 130 BB. He's decent HR and RBI in 5 x 5 and HR RBI OBP in 6 x 6 (or 5 x 5 that count OBP instead of BA). But for points leagues that count walks, he's GOLD because he can be obtained in the very late rounds or the wires.

Performances enhancing drugs is no doubt scaring some people off, so my ringing endorsement comes with a giant qualifier: if clean and if his production last season was clean.
Roto24Seven
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:37 am

More bust than upside in my opinion. His problem was never his muscle, it was the fact he swings and misses more than most major leaguers can afford to.
Last edited by Ender on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby yaboygino » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 am

255 35 hrs 90 rbis count it!
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sblinyy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:45 am

thursday_13 wrote:

I was just about to post something like this till I read yours. ;-D

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:47 am

I think unless you have a deep bench, you are carrying dead weight. Yes, he will go through a white hot streak and will be worth starting for a few weeks. Everyone will grab him and pronounce him god. Bandwagon threads will be started and sigs will be made. Then he will fall off the planet just like he has done in his entire career.

But he will be helpful for those few weeks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby sblinyy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:50 am

Yoda wrote:I think unless you have a deep bench, you are carrying dead weight. Yes, he will go through a white hot streak and will be worth starting for a few weeks. Everyone will grab him and pronounce him god. Bandwagon threads will be started and sigs will be made. Then he will fall off the planet just like he has done in his entire career.

But he will be helpful for those few weeks.

well said. He will probably hit 25 home runs in a 2 week span. :-D

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:19 am

I just don't know if he'll get enough AB's to even hit 30 HR's . Oakland has Dan Johnson / Mike Sweeney also vying for DH time...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers