Return to Baseball Leftovers

1st CLOSER to LOSE their job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 1st CLOSER to LOSE their job?

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 am

Interesting how low people seem to be on Troy boy. I actually think he's a great closer to own this year. He pitched well when he came back last season, and barring 2005, he's been a plus plus relief arm his entire career. If he's healthy, I think he's going to be very good.

People forget that this same talk went on about Borowski last March, too, how he was awful, would lose his job, Betancourt was the guy to have, etc. etc. etc. Now, I'm in full agreement that he's doo doo brown, but the Injins seem to like him, and the fact that he converts saves. He's pretty low on my list of "first guy to lose the closer role."

Given the way the Cafe operates, and the supreme over reactionary nature to closers in general, I would assume it's going to be one of the Texas, Baltimore or San Francisco scenarios; even though there's no real defined closer there, you know there will be posts in both the Closer thread and Game Commentary threads, "GOODBYE WILSON!!!" "BENOIT TIME!!!" so on and so forth. I don't really count those situations as having true closers, though, cause well, they don't.

I also don't see Lidge losing his job, at least early, unless he's injured (which he is). He's their closer, that's what they brought him in for. He Saved 19 games from mid-July on last season, and teams seem to love guys who "convert saves" regardless of other ratios.

I could see Chad Cordero losing his job to Rauch reasonably early, or Manny Corpas having to turn the reigns back over to Brian Fuentes. I'm talking losing the job totally, not just being skipped on a Save Op. or two. But again, as mentioned, the over reactionary stance here must be stated. Someone not yet mentioned who could lose his job, but I think would have a longer leash than Cordero or Corpas is Bobby Jenks, with Octavio Dotel sitting in the wings. I know Guillen likes Jenks, but I'm not very high on him this season, and now there's a defined 'backup' closer in waiting in case he falters.

In the end, the first real closer to 'lose their job' this season will likely be to injury. :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:32 pm

I don't think B.J. Ryan or Brandon Lyon will be closers in May.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:50 pm

I waited extremely long on closers in my draft and wound up with a craptastic bullpen of Capps, JoBlow, Lyon and Sherrill.

Is it even worth drafting these guys (outside of Capps)? I'm honestly contemplating just dropping them and picking up dirty middle relievers like Heath Bell to just keep my ratios down until I can get my hands on a closer (one of the above loses their job and I pick up the replacement.) Or should I just hold onto them and pick up a few saves early on and then cut them loose when there's a better alternative?

I remember Yoda saying that he'd rather take great MRs late in the draft than these clowns. Is that a smart play? Is it even worth it to use a roster spot on these guys?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I waited extremely long on closers in my draft and wound up with a craptastic bullpen of Capps, JoBlow, Lyon and Sherrill.

Is it even worth drafting these guys (outside of Capps)? I'm honestly contemplating just dropping them and picking up dirty middle relievers like Heath Bell to just keep my ratios down until I can get my hands on a closer (one of the above loses their job and I pick up the replacement.) Or should I just hold onto them and pick up a few saves early on and then cut them loose when there's a better alternative?

I remember Yoda saying that he'd rather take great MRs late in the draft than these clowns. Is that a smart play? Is it even worth it to use a roster spot on these guys?

My bullpen in one of my keepers, after the auction, is: Jeremy Accardo, Jon Rauch, Brian Fuentes, and Rafael Soriano.

I like my bullpen better than yours.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:05 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I waited extremely long on closers in my draft and wound up with a craptastic bullpen of Capps, JoBlow, Lyon and Sherrill.

My bullpen in one of my keepers, after the auction, is: Jeremy Accardo, Jon Rauch, Brian Fuentes, and Rafael Soriano.

I agree. That is solid group Hort. Rauch and Fuentes could very well be closers very soon and in the meantime will put up solid numbers. Accardo is one BJ Ryan tweak from being a closer and Soriano will have a great season IMO.

Thanks.

In re-reading my post, that came off as pompous :-o :-b

What I'm getting at BXB51, is that I'd rather have the top end MRs, yes. The fact that these ones have a shot at earning Saves is only sweetner, as I'd even take Heath Bell, who I don't expect to assume the closer role any time this season, regardless of how Hasselhoffman performs. Ditto on Broxton to Saito.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Ah, shove it, hort.

:-b
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:11 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:My bullpen in one of my keepers, after the auction, is: Jeremy Accardo, Jon Rauch, Brian Fuentes, and Rafael Soriano.

I agree. That is solid group Hort. Rauch and Fuentes could very well be closers very soon and in the meantime will put up solid numbers. Accardo is one BJ Ryan tweak from being a closer and Soriano will have a great season IMO.

Thanks.

In re-reading my post, that came off as pompous :-o :-b

What I'm getting at BXB51, is that I'd rather have the top end MRs, yes. The fact that these ones have a shot at earning Saves is only sweetner, as I'd even take Heath Bell, who I don't expect to assume the closer role any time this season, regardless of how Hasselhoffman performs. Ditto on Broxton to Saito.

Ok, I see what you mean. I knew that I was going to go really heavy on offense for the first 13 or so rounds. So I also knew that I wasn't going to have a lot of options at RP. So I planned to grab maybe 2 guys similar to Capps, and then snag Joba, Broxton and Bell. Joba went crazy early in my draft and I missed out on Broxton.

Bell is still on FA and I'm probably going to go pick him up now if I can figure out which one to drop.

EDIT: Rauch and Fuentes are also still on FA, no Accardo, although Flash Gordon is.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:50 pm

If your league is active I'd probably rather have the saves guys you drafted. Sherrill will likely be fine so keep him for sure. Lyon and JoBlow will probably stink but as long as they are getting saves someone will include them in a trade. Some 8th round guy and Borowski for some 7th round guy and the worst player on the other team (someone you can just drop is fine, people just like even trades). Then drop the guy you didn't want and pick up a Bell type guy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:53 pm

I think Capps and Sherrill will be great this year. Boro and Lyon will probably get blown out. I would much rather carry guys like Rauch, Bell, etc than those guys. Also, Moylan looks like a pretty good bet right now with Soriano already hurting.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers