Return to Baseball Leftovers

Comparing Keeper to non- keeper.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Comparing Keeper to non- keeper.

Postby ihballer34 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:55 pm

I kknow that there is a huge difference in the type of league, but what about the players? Do you want to pick those young guys who have big potential. Or stick with those veterens?
ihballer34
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Comparing Keeper to non- keeper.

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Take a look at this draft which is a 2008 dynasty to see where players go. Compare that to a redraft league -- some pretty big differences ;-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:09 pm

There is no 'right' or 'wrong'. The bottom line is you want to take the players who are going to lead you to victory. IMO, people tend to look too far into the future in keeper leagues and end up in a perennial rebuild, while never winning. Always looking for the upside, the future, and the future never comes. In keeper leagues, the furthers I will ever look into the future is 3 seasons -- hell, most keeper leagues don't even last that long. Luckily I'm in my 7th season of my main keeper, and even there, no move I make will I ever consider the ramifications of for longer than 3 seasons down the road, and usually it's a much smaller window than that. One of the main differences you'll notice is that if you are projecting two players to have a similar season in '08, you'll want to take the younger/bigger upside one; for example Tom Glavine vs Boof Bonser or whatever. If I'm projecting those two to have similar seasons, I'm going with Bonser, as Glavine's done and Boof's just getting started. Good luck! ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:27 pm

I agree completely. In my keeper league, I sort my players into exactly the same tiers as I do for re-draft, based on expected performance for that year. But, then within a tier and for individual decisions, I'll lean to the younger guy.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)

Return to Baseball Leftovers