Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Bonderman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Bonderman

Postby sblinyy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 am

07 stats of Bondermon

Pre all star break: 16 starts, 9 wins, 1 loss, 106 IP, 98 K's, 3.48 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .247 BAA

Post all star break: 12 starts, 2 wins, 8 losses, 68.1 IP, 47 K's, 7.38 ERA, 1.68 WHIP, .323 BAA

What happened? the guy was pitching great, then he just started pitching awful. Which Jeremy Bonderman should we expect this season?

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jeremy Bonderman

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:01 am

This is probably the best year to take a chance on Bonderman. He was always going way too early and not worth the pick in previous seasons.

With his consistent Jekyll and Hyde act plus injuries make him a bit of a risk for a lot of people this year. I would take a chance on him if the price is right.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 am

I took a chance on him in the 18th round in a slow draft I'm in. If he can rebound well, he will rack up between 170-200K's with a sick offense behind him.

It seemed like last season every 2 of 3 pitches was a slider...which made him predictable but also wore on his elbow. I read that he is throwing a pretty effective change in ST...could be good news since he has always had nice gas.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:53 am

Well to answer what happened in the 2nd half, he was hurt and continued to pitch. He will never be the pitcher he was projected to be until he can have a usable change up, which is becoming less likely each year. That said if he can stay healthy, he has had injuries the past couple years, I can see him posting 3.50+ ERA 1.25 WHIP. This year he brings good value due to last years injury, as Yoda said, and could pay off pretty well.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:03 am

hybrid wrote:He will never be the pitcher he was projected to be until he can have a usable change up, which is becoming less likely each year.

Yeah count me out on this guy. All the hype year in and year out and he fails to live up to it consistently. I'd grab him late in leagues but I'm really not expecting much out of him.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -271)

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:50 am

Freebird27 wrote:I took a chance on him in the 18th round in a slow draft I'm in. If he can rebound well, he will rack up between 170-200K's with a sick offense behind him.

It seemed like last season every 2 of 3 pitches was a slider...which made him predictable but also wore on his elbow. I read that he is throwing a pretty effective change in ST...could be good news since he has always had nice gas.

I may be mis-remembering, but I felt that Bonderman threw less sliders in the second half. Could be he just didn't have the snap on them. But he was really having problems locating all his pitches in the second half. Elbow pain and arm fatigue are being blamed. No reports of any pain so far this ST.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MTUCache » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 am

As for the second half last year... yes he was pitching through an injury, which apparently made a world of difference in his effectiveness.

As for the change, there's a lot of conflicting info on this pitch in ST right now. Even though he says it's a good pitch for him now (and the Tigers' coaches seem to agree), that was the exact same thing we heard last year (and we never saw this pitch). Even more discouraging was the Tigers' radio announcers today during the ST game discussing this pitch, and the one said that he could spot the difference in arm speed from the booth, and he didn't think it was nearly as polished as it should be.

All I know is that he's never had an ERA below 4.00, and if the home team announcers are talking about how obvious his change is, it's probably nothing he'll be throwing for strikes during the season. Frankly, I'm not encouraged by anything other than his W numbers this year (15+).
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -21)

Postby pangbones » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:41 am

I agree with Yoda, that this is the year to get him. He's always been on the brink of a breakout, but it never happens. He's shown flashes of dominance, but injuries and inconsistencies have derailed him. If he's healthy, he should at the very least pile up K's and somes W's as well. So if you can get him late in the draft, like sometime after the 18th round or so in a 12 teamer, he could have very good value.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby stumpak » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 am

I think that he is a potential steal this year based on his crummy second half, which was injury induced.

That said, the history is that he is one of those Bush/Vasquez type of guys that for whatever reason has trouble working with guys on base. Because of this, his ERA will never quite be what his peripherals say they should be. But with his K rate and the team he plays on, he still has the potential to be a top 15 roto SP in 2008, even with a 4.00 ERA. And if he ever truely puts it together it can be better than that.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:06 am

hybrid wrote:Well to answer what happened in the 2nd half, he was hurt and continued to pitch. He will never be the pitcher he was projected to be until he can have a usable change up, which is becoming less likely each year. That said if he can stay healthy, he has had injuries the past couple years, I can see him posting 3.50+ ERA 1.25 WHIP. This year he brings good value due to last years injury, as Yoda said, and could pay off pretty well.

I agree with Hybrid...I said the same thing last year regarding offspeed stuff. With that said I also agree with Yoda that he can be had much later this year which definately makes him valuable.

Good not Great, until he can work with some offspeed stuff he won't progress much more at all, IMO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers