Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help a newb. Whats my strategy with these settings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help a newb. Whats my strategy with these settings?

Postby haymarket » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:29 pm

First off, I was a lurker here last season (my first) and these forums helped me win two yahoo leagues last year, so thank you to all. I have joined a league this year with some different settings, and I'm not sure what my strategy should be for my draft tomorrow morning. The leagues that I have played have been the Yahoo! public 5x5 H2H leagues, so you know where my background is. The settings are as follows:
Pos.
C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, OF(3), Util(3), SP, SP, Rp, Rp, P, P, P, P BN(5), DL(2)
Categories
OFF. R, 1b, 2b, 3b, HR, Rbi, SB, AVG, Slam,
Pitch. W, L, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, Pickoffs, No Hitters
It is a H2H league with daily roster moves and 20 inn minimum for innings pitched. Redraft.

I think the categories of SLAM, SHO, Pickoffs, and No Hitters are things that you just cant put value on in a draft, which for drafting purposes makes this more of a 8x6 league.
On the offensive side I feel that with the 2 extra UTILs that I need to draft even more offense early so I have every day players filling out my offense. Also, I feel a need to bump guys like Reyes, Rollins, Figgy, and Granderson up a notch or two, while downgrading guys like Howard just a touch who walk or strikeout a lot.
On the pitching side I think that i need to load up closers and low ratio MR's with the potential to move to the closers job (ie. Rauch, Gordon, Fuentes, TPena), while taking maybe one decent starter in the middle rounds so I can get to the 20 inn mark.
I think these settings make this league a complete crapshoot, but that my best strategy is to draft a great offense, and give myself a good shot a the L, SV, ERA, and WHIP on the pitching side.
So there you have it, my first post. :-) . Now, tell me how bad my strategy is.
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help a newb. Whats my strategy with these settings?

Postby Great Gazoo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:12 pm

Hitting is your obvious first priority. Players who hit for a high average value will go up slightly (ie:Polanco). The problem I have with your pitching strategy in H2H is the MR's can have very bad days and if you are only shooting for 20 innings it can murder you ratios in a given week. I would put a little more into your pitching, but go hitting early with an emphasis on high average hitters. Also, make sure to grab speed guys who also hit for triples. That is a solid 25% of your cats.
Great Gazoo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tgalv » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:55 pm

step1: quit this retarded league
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:55 pm

tgalv wrote:step1: quit this retarded league

Quite with your retarded answers. If you don't want to help then don't say anything.

Higher average guys are fine, but don't forget your power, thats still your R, HR, RBI, and early on AVG if you can get Howard, Fielder those types. Ichiro will be a bit more useful, as would a guy like Todd Helton, I'd give him a little bump up too in ratings. Guys who get more hits will be more useful so look for guys with a history of 600+ ABs and a decent average (Ie 180ish hits +)

With L try to get pitchers on better teams. A slight more emphasis on starters might be good.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm

I would focus on drafting pitchers who will give you a lot of pickoffs! ;-)

Seriously, though, that league setup is pretty ridiculous. I would not worry at all about trying to adjust for those crapshoot categories. (In fact, you ought to lobby your league to drop some of them.) I mean, I guess you can bump guys like Granderson and Rollins for triples and such, but really, don't overthink it. Your rankings should not be substantially different than a typical 5x5 league.

Instead, focus on your league's differences in positions. Three utility slots is a lot, and it's really going to thin your waiver options, so you definitely want to focus heavy on hitting in the draft.

I don't like your pitching strategy. It sounds good in theory, but when you are aiming for that few innings pitched each week, one blowup from one of your closers can cost you ERA, WHIP and possibly L for the week.

A better strategy is to draft mostly hitters to fill out your starting slots, then turn your attention to loading up on multiple closers and lots of second- and third-tier, high=upside pitchers. Try to fill most of your bench slots with these types of starters, so you can rotate them out to get more starts than your opponents (and have options to bench guys with unfavorable matchups.

Also, you didn't mention, is this points H2H or just categories?

Congrats on your first Cafe post. Let me know if you have more questions.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers