Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is the better second round pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the better second round pick?

Postby NoFrigginChanse » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I'm stumped. My league draft is in 11 days. I am unsure about my second pick. You see, looking at the slim pickings of Superstars at the thin 2B position, I am considering taking Brandon Phillips or BJ Upton as my second round pick this year. I expect big things from both of these guys and I am sure they will be gone by the time third round hits.

My dilemma lies in that I am contemplating taking both these guys over names such as David Ortiz who has proven to be a big bat that is hard to let get away. I do, however, like the five tool option both Upton or Phillips have to offer. Plus, I don't see any other second baseman going after these two guys that will offer comprable stats. (Note I'm excluding Utley who I expect to be gone by the first round.)

I am sure that Phillips will be great, but Upton, I 'm not so sure about. His track record isn't as long. What do you recommend? Do I go w/ the second base option, or do I go w/ a more proven commodity such as Ortiz, Sizemore, Beltran, or Soriano?
NoFrigginChanse
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who is the better second round pick?

Postby shoelessjoetara » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:23 am

I would much rather go after the sure thing. Upton will be overvalued and I am not a big fan of Phillips. I would rather draft Kinsler or Cano a round or two later. I have the 8th pick in my 14 team league draft and I am targeting Cabrera and Utley with my 1st pick and hopefully Texiera in the 2nd then concentrate on the 2 I listed above. Hopefully it works to perfection.
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby The Jury » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:00 am

I would recommend taking Ortiz, etc. with your 2nd round pick rather than either Phillips or Upton. I think you are simply passing up too much value and stats by going with one of those 2B, and I think there's still a pretty good chance you could get one of them in the 3rd round (if you feel you really need to take one of those 2 guys).
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 am

It really depends on what's left, which will depend on your draft position. The end of the second, third round is where you should be targeting Upton and Phillips. I would definitely draft guys like Ortiz, Beltran and Soriano over those guys.

Good luck.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -31)

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:10 am

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 210)

Return to Baseball Leftovers