Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spring Training and Ryan Zimmerman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spring Training and Ryan Zimmerman

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:53 pm

Normally, I don't use spring training stats to decide any part of my rankings but I'm thinking about using them for Zimmerman. I'm very worried about Zimmerman's power being affected by his offseason surgery and have added him to my do not draft list because of it but if he was healthy he would be a guy I'd like a lot. Would his spring training help indicate a successful recovery from surgery or would it be more prudent to just keep him on the do not draft list?
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Spring Training and Ryan Zimmerman

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:02 pm

I got a deal on him yesterday but am also concerned. BP and Forecaster are both pretty high on him though.

I'm not sure Spring training is the best source of info as I think that it is very possible to overlook guys 'working on stuff' like 'go out and throw fastballs the first two innings and then curveballs for a while' that leads to pitchers getting pounded and hitters looking better? I am not 100% sure of this but there's another thread where somebody had posted something to that effect and it kind of made sense.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby quicksilver8 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I am not concerned about Zimmerman. Reports are that his wrist is fully healed and he has no restrictions whatsoever this spring. I think he will be just fine. I've seen projections for him to hit 20-25 homers with 85-100 rbi. A cheaper alternative to the big guns at 3rd base!
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mariners47 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:53 pm

Zimmerman has 2 HR this spring. I think this is the perfect case of why it's important to follow ST. If he couldn't hit a ball out of the park then I would avoid him like the plague.
mariners47
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers