Return to Baseball Leftovers

Switching to a new draft strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Switching to a new draft strategy?

Postby Mr. Goodwrench » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 pm

I am really thinking about a shift in strategy for my draft? Which would be not drafting any closers at all and drafting all the sluggers I can early waiting on SP's for the middle to late rounds. There is a guy in my league who doesn't draft closers and is always there in the playoffs every year! I won my first championship last year with lucky pickups of Braun and Upton, making alot of deals because I had a mediocre draft. I had to really work at my team last year to make it a winner! Pretty much I'm trying to find the best draft strategy to repeat. Oh, one more thing to keep in mind! It never fails in my draft that the league goes on a closer run about the 4th to 5th round. I hate it! %-6
"The game of catch has never been so fun!" - inventor of the hand grenade.

2007 Die Hard Tiger's Fan League Champions
CLIO Lumber Co.
Mr. Goodwrench
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Switching to a new draft strategy?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 pm

First of all, never get caught up in a run....especially a closer run.

Secondly, don't lock yourself into a specific draft strategy. Draft for value. Make a list of your top 200 players. Then just draft according to the list, pretty much. If there's a great SP sitting on the board in round 5, don't hesitate to take him just because he's a pitcher. If it's good value, make the pick. Same with closers. If a closer has dropped deep in the draft, and you feel that he's a good value pick, take him. Don't just ignore him because you don't want closers.

Draft for value...get the most out of your picks.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -296)

Re: Switching to a new draft strategy?

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Forecaster has had several articles about closers values being too volatile to be of use for planning. Some guys are obviously very set to be closers and do well but every year there are guys who come out of nowhere to pick up bunches of saves and other guys who are drafted (by us anyway...) as closers who go down the tubes, injuries happen, roles change, a guy comes out of nowhere, all sorts of stuff happens and their value is harder to predict than that of other players. The corrallary would then be that you should stick to drafting guys who will give you more secure return on your investment in drafting them in any given spot.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers