Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe Challenge Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:27 pm

wrveres wrote:Sorry again Erboes .. I am sure that Alomar and Casey will carry the day when Drew and his crew go down .. good luck. ;-D

Just one last note. Its become apparent that you and Tribe Fan are not only friends, but you both obvioussly drink form the same cup of tea.

Tribe Fan .. Griffey in the 12th? .. If I were you, I would try and trade him to Erboes real quik. Ya know he will take him too .. ask for anything chit ... Mora.

can anybody explain how the crack got into the Cleveland water system.? I need a link please ... :-D

BTW Tribe ... your team is far superior to Erboes IMHO

The 12th is a great spot for a risk pick. I already had my OF set with Berkman / A Jones / Winn, and I had a strong UTIL hitter in Sweeney, so why not take the chance with a Griffey. Actually I was going to take Juan Gonzalez at that point, but he was grabbed 3 picks sooner. Boy, from reading all these posts it appears that most of you guys play it safe across the board, and it has been my experience that drafting that way is a sure recipe for a middle of the pack finish, especially in a competitive league.

Now Rolen in the 2nd? That was probably a mistake. I really thought Tejada would make it back to me but he went 3 picks ahead. (Actually that's the same guy that took Gonzalez!)

I have been in many leagues with Erboes over the years, and his drafting is always questioned on draft day, but he makes converts out of those people every season. I expect him to be at the top of the pack in this league as well, under me of course, but up there.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:57 pm

Yeah, Rolen in the 2nd is not good - lots of quality 3rd basemen around. But other than that you did a great job. IMO the best team in that draft. Followed by The King (ignoring the Loretta pick) and Red Devils.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby mrmarley » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:59 pm

[quote="Erboes]
We got to see how it all plays out.[/quote]

Definitely agree with this statement...it's fun to question picks before the season, but who can really predict what will happen once the games begine, that's what makes fantasy so challenging.

With that being said, I'm going to have to crrrush the competition, hope you all understand !+)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:11 pm

mrmarley wrote:[quote="Erboes]
We got to see how it all plays out.

Definitely agree with this statement...it's fun to question picks before the season, but who can really predict what will happen once the games begine, that's what makes fantasy so challenging.

With that being said, I'm going to have to crrrush the competition, hope you all understand !+)[/quote]

Yep, you can't do it.

I will say this, though, I play in a leagues with writers from other baseball fantasy sites and these guys are good, but you fellas impressed me equally. I still think I'll win, but I'm going to have to be a bit more active than I thought in order to do so.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:51 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Hey look at that. Jackal's tied for first place!

Or, he's tied for last. ;-)

I recognize DK, ERBOES, TRIBE-FAN, LBJ, CORNBREAD.

I expected CORN to have more Tigers? :-D

DK where are the Mets?

Interesting draft. Should be fun.

Carlos Lee was the steal at 18th. ;-D

ERBOES can i ask you something? Why Mantei with Guardado/Percival on the board? I also see you were reluctant to grab your guy Burroughs? Btw, nice take off on Charlie Spikes.

The pen of MacDougal/Biddle is living on the edge.

Why was Henley Ramirez drafted?

I almost forgot about your post, Hootie. Great call on Charlie Spikes. You gotta be an old baseball nut like me to know that one.

And I should have taken Guardado (not Percival. That guy scares me this season) but I was having problems with Java and it kept on going out on me. It didn't hurt me that much, but in that case it did. Still, I like Mantei almost as much as Guardado, so I don't think it was that big a deal.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:00 pm

Erboes wrote:

Definitely agree with this statement...

That's classic. Of course you agree with it - it's your statement! LOL

Thanks Erb, I needed a laugh today.

Good luck with the league.

I remember a thread a while back about how much of winning is in the draft. Most people agreed that in fantasy baseball the draft counts for less than 50%. In this league anyone can win in it - it will all come down to managing during the year.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Erboes wrote:

Definitely agree with this statement...

That's classic. Of course you agree with it - it's your statement! LOL

Thanks Erb, I needed a laugh today.

Good luck with the league.

I remember a thread a while back about how much of winning is in the draft. Most people agreed that in fantasy baseball the draft counts for less than 50%. In this league anyone can win in it - it will all come down to managing during the year.

I was thirding him seconding my first statement. The quote machine got screwed up.

I really don't know what percentage goes into the draft, in season management, and just plain luck, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's equal parts all three. I do know that even if you have a great draft and superb management of your team, just plain bad luck can do you in. I've also seen people with obscene luck overcome average drafts and so-so management. I have seen people overcome bad drafts with great management and neutral luck. I've yet to see anyone win with bad in season management no matter how lucky they get. Now that I think about it, I have seen plenty of people overcome bad drafts and some bad luck (maybe not the 10 guys on the DL bad luck, but pretty bad) with good in season skills, but having bad managerial skills seems to be the kiss of death in my experience. With these ramblings, I might go as far as to say the draft is 25%, luck another 25%, and your managing skills about 50%. That sounds about right.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:28 pm

I would say its closer to 23.4% - 50.995% - and 25.605%.

Give or take.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tribe-Fan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:11 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Yeah, Rolen in the 2nd is not good - lots of quality 3rd basemen around. But other than that you did a great job. IMO the best team in that draft. Followed by The King (ignoring the Loretta pick) and Red Devils.

Thanks for the compliment Mookie, of course we know nothing until October. I am looking forward to this league. I was very pleased with the level of skill the owners seem to have. I even got 2 trade offers already, and they were both good offers, just not what I wanted. That is a very good sign.

You should have signed up man.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Manutd016 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:40 pm

i want some trade offers
--------------> PANSY!

I'm the artist formely known as Manutd016
Manutd016
College Coach
College Coach