Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe Challenge Draft Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:00 pm

LBJackal wrote:I hope there's not too much confusion over who Jackal is. It's me, and I don't think I have to change my name :-D but if you have trouble finding out who LBJackal is, look at the standings and the guy at the top will be me. ;-D

Will you have to split the prize with your Mom for helping you with the draft?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:12 pm

Erboes wrote:Playing it safe, though, I have him at $30, which is way on the low end of any reasonable expectations of him.....your love affair with Beltran, although quite cute, is really not based on relavent facts. A normal Beltran season in 620 AB's and .288-109-24-102-33. My projections have him in 586 AB's .282-111-24-101-31. I don't think there's barely a difference worth mentioning between them. Now, you may be right and he becomes this superman like you claim, but I just don't see the evidence of it. And, please, stop bringing up this "protection" garbage.

Well you're sold on Walker so I'll have to wait till after he goes on the 60 day DL before you accept that he's not going to appraoch $30 in value.

And you predict decline for Beltran in almost every category from his career norms, yet he's been increasing steadily over the past 3 seasons. Call that a love affair on my part, or call it common sense that he'll have a better year than his norm, and probably better than last season too.

Ask the Giants if they think protection means nothing. Barry Bonds having the reigning MVP (Jeff Kent) as protection gave him the opportunity to hit 73 HR's. Since then he's hasn't even hit 50. The following stats were complied using stats from 2001, 2002, and 2003. With Kent as protection: HR every 6.8 AB. Without Kent as protection: HR every 8.8 AB. That's a swing of about 13 HR per season based on who is hitting behind him. Talk about "protection garbage", sheesh. And how about Aurilia? What has he done since he lost Bonds as protection? Absolutely nothing.

You do so much stat analysis that you'd think you'd factor in one of the best RBI men being added to a lineup. I'm not saying it will dramatically increase his stats like it did for Bonds and Aurilia, but it's something to consider at least - not to dismiss as irrelevant. Considering Beltran's situation, I see absolutely no reason to assume a decline. Again, you're sold on your projections, so we'll wait till the end of the season to see how accurate they are.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:27 pm

wrveres wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I hope there's not too much confusion over who Jackal is. It's me, and I don't think I have to change my name :-D but if you have trouble finding out who LBJackal is, look at the standings and the guy at the top will be me. ;-D

looks like you shot your load on Matt Herges, but overall nice team jackyl.

You and Bell ;-D

Yeah I was scrambling for a closer at that point. I might regret it, but then again, it could be worse. Half of my roster could have "Hospital" as #1 on their speed-dial list.

But one thing I wanna know is: Do JD Drew's "Frequent Surgery Miles" transfer from St. Louis to Atlanta, or does he have to start all over again :-?

And when I win the league, I won't split the prize with my mom(even though there is no prize to begin with), since she was tellin me to take guys like Jeter, who are obviously only taken by teenage girls who know nothing about baseball .................. :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Cafe Challenge Final Results

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:52 pm

Well the results are in. The Café Challenge winner was………..Erboes. Here they are:

1) 100 pts Bogalusa Bombers (Erboes)
2) 83 pts Cornbread
3) 78.5 pts Merovingian (Pedantic)
4) 73.5 pts Tribe-Fan
5) 73.5 pts The King (mikcou)
6) 68.5 pts Bell
7) 66 pts DK
8) 63 pts Qui (Swinger)
9) 57.5 pts MrMarley
10) 52 pts Fly Swatters (????)
11) 37.5 pts Jackal (LBJackal)
12) 26.5 pts Gucci Baseballs (Manutd/Gucci)

A few interesting things. Erboes took a beating for his draft, in this thread mostly, but in others as well. I posted these final standings in this thread so people could read back and see that. I guess he knew what he was doing afterall.

Another interesting thing is the absolute beating Erboes put on Jackal, which was the key match-up of the league if anyone recalls. There was a 1-year Café name bet on the line if I recall. I guess we found out who was the better mind in that duel.

It was an interesting season, but much more inactive then I would have liked.

Comments?

Tribe-Fan
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Cafe Challenge Final Results

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:04 pm

1st off, Congrats to Erboes! ;-D

Tribe-Fan wrote:Another interesting thing is the absolute beating Erboes put on Jackal, which was the key match-up of the league if anyone recalls. There was a 1-year Café name bet on the line if I recall. I guess we found out who was the better mind in that duel.

As to this, I'm pretty sure that it was an avatar bet. Name changes are not something we do here at the Cafe'. Should be interesting to see what pic Erboes makes Jackal wear though. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Mustangs989 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:08 pm

Well Erboes Dunn-Drew-Walker combo did ok for him ;-) Also getting Casey and Mora who both had big years this year in the last round look great now.
Anyways congrats to everyone who participated in that league as it looked very competetive. Hopefully I'll get in a league like that for next year.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby nsulham » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:08 pm

Interesting. Glad to see Erboes do well because he sure did take a beating for all his opinions. Hopefully if he comes back to gloat, he does so with at least some restraint but he won it, so he has the right to be an ass if he wants, I suppose.

Nice job gentlemen!
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Re: Cafe Challenge Final Results

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 pm

Madison wrote:1st off, Congrats to Erboes! ;-D

Tribe-Fan wrote:Another interesting thing is the absolute beating Erboes put on Jackal, which was the key match-up of the league if anyone recalls. There was a 1-year Café name bet on the line if I recall. I guess we found out who was the better mind in that duel.

As to this, I'm pretty sure that it was an avatar bet. Name changes are not something we do here at the Cafe'. Should be interesting to see what pic Erboes makes Jackal wear though. Lol. :-b

It took me a while to find it, but here it is.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... &start=120

It was a name change, and I look forward to seeing mailto:Fluffy@rotoguys.com post for the next 12 months.

TF
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:21 pm

Tribe-Fan. Nice find ;-D . I had searched for it about a month ago when someone mentioned that Jackal was going to lose.

Unfortunately, name changes really isn't something that's done here. They did agree in that same thread for an avatar bet, so Erboes gets to pick the picture. How about using the sig space for something about mailto:Fluffy@rotoguys.com? Worst case is he could put something like AKA: mailto:Fluffy@rotoguys.com or if you can come up with a picture to put down there, then I believe that would suffice.

Jackal's definitely eating some crow this year. Lol :-D .
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:56 pm

It's Erboes' call I suppose, but a Rotoguy logo and the fluffy thing in the sig section should suffice.

I'll tell you, reading back through that Rotoguys thread was a hoot. We missed the boat on Burroughs by so much we would have drowned had it been a real boat, but some of the others were interesting. Here are some of my favorites:

Guest wrote "You still believe there are 50 better OF's than Sosa? GET SERIOUS!!!!!"

mkooljr wrote "Bobby Abreu is yet another example of a guy you expect more HRs from that i think are unwarranted if you look deeper into the stats. His power index took a dive last season, and his GB/FB ratio shot up to close to 2. So again, where in his skill set do you see an indication of him getting back into the upper 20's in HRs?"

Abreu = 30 HR

mkooljr wrote "Your Sosa projection is a joke. When i see guys like Aaron Rowand and Craig Biggio ranked ahead of him, any credibility you may have had is completely shot.

5 x 5 lines
Sosa 69-35-80-0-.253 yahoo rank 175
Biggio 124-24-63-7-.281 yahoo rank 127
Rowand 94-24-69-17-.310 yahoo rank 75

And both Biggio and Rowand probably went undrafted, whereas Sosa went what.....top 4 rounds or better?

LBJackal wrote "Your ranking of Sosa is ridiculous, and how you came up with a .251 average is beyond me. I guess adding Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez as protection will cause his average to drop 28 points.............???????"

See above...Sosa, .253. Damn, we missed it by .002.

LBJackal wrote "and predicting Renteria to drop by 14 SB, 21 RBI, 9 R, and 26 BA points seems a bit of a stretch to me"

Renteria actually saw his SB drop by 17 not 14, RBI dropped 28 not 21, runs dropped 12 not 9, BA dropped .043 not .026

Guest wrote "Sean Casey is more valuable than Huff???? would you really draft casey before Huff?"

Huff 92-29-104-5-.297 yahoo rank 65
Casey 101-24-99-2-.324 yahoo rank 58

Pretty close, but the point was to pass on Huff, who went much much earlier and take Casey instead.

There were more, but I am tired.

Oh, and before anyone asks, of course I only listed the hits. What am I, stupid????
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers