Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Cliff Lee for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Cliff Lee for real?

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 9:11 pm

The Bronx Zoo wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The Bronx Zoo wrote:He's toying with the Yankees tonight... Watching it on YES. 5 IP 3H 5K 0R 0BB. He's pounding both sides of the zone with his fastball. I feel like I should trade him but... :-?

If you get blown away with a top 50 player or something then you should do it but otherwise, just hold on and enjoy the ride. If he is still dominant by ASB then I'm sure you easily get a top player in return.

This is in a league where I'm punting Ws and Ks (6x6 K/9 and OBP), low minimum IP too. Already in 1st by 11 in an 11 team league. Gonna put him on the block out of curiosity. Saw someone got Dunn for him straight up in a CBS premium league the other day. Probably about what he's worth right now I think :-?

That's not a bad deal to take if you need the bat especially with OBP.

I am shopping him too as I need a closer. I'll post some offers I get here.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed May 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Lee is absolutely baffling me....I mean he is shutting teams down with little more than a 90-92 mph fastball and will mix in a curve.....teams just aren't hitting him. I don't get it? :-S His stuff is barely much more than avg...he is hitting his spots which is good, obviously, but just hitting your spots with avg stuff shouldn't equal a .81 ERA or whatever it is now? Crazyiness!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Cliff Lee just got traded in my 12 team sportsline h2h league with Paul Konerko for Ryan Howard.

Alot of people got fired up over the fact that a free agent pitcher to start with (Lee) & a 10th rounder (Konerko) got traded for a first round pick (Howard).

They way Cliff Lee keeps pitching it's not looking so one sided.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Strasil42 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Lee pitched great tonight.

He is a huge mystery to me tho... his stuff doesn't appear to be overwhelming at all.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby Spartans Rule » Wed May 07, 2008 11:33 pm

J35J wrote:Lee is absolutely baffling me....I mean he is shutting teams down with little more than a 90-92 mph fastball and will mix in a curve.....teams just aren't hitting him. I don't get it? :-S His stuff is barely much more than avg...he is hitting his spots which is good, obviously, but just hitting your spots with avg stuff shouldn't equal a .81 ERA or whatever it is now? Crazyiness!

Let's not forget that arguably the best pitcher of our generation had pretty ordinary stuff, but amazing command of it.

Lee's pitching like Maddux in his prime right now.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kcs261 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:43 pm

If you have Lee, I would just keep playing him. Why ask why? Just be happy. ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby mweir145 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Now I haven't seen the guy pitch at all this season, but how does he only have 2 walks all year?

That's just crazy.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 08, 2008 12:09 am

mweir145 wrote:Now I haven't seen the guy pitch at all this season, but how does he only have 2 walks all year?

That's just crazy.

If he played for Toronto they would have released him already. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby ScrappyDoo » Thu May 08, 2008 9:48 am

Not only does he only have 2 BB's, but he has only given up 2 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 HR. He has only given up 25 hits total this year.

Last night for example he only brought like 2 guys to a 3-ball count. He only gave up 2 legitimate hits all game. Two bloops, 1 botched throw to first after a groundout, and one swinging bunt. Even the double could have been caught, granted it would have been a tough play, but it was hit right down the 3rd base line just out of the reach of Marte.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Thu May 08, 2008 9:50 am

Hitters are simply unable to pick up the ball for some reason. His fastball does seem to have some decent action and he was dialing it up to 93.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers