Page 1 of 3

Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 am
by hett2333
Does this guy really need to spend the entire year in the minors taking softball batting practice? Through last nights game
AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.342 31 111 28 38 10 1 10 36 80 16 19 0 0 .436 721 1.157

If he keeps hitting at this rate, any thoughts on LaPorta forcing someone out of their spot this year? Hall, Hart, etc? I just don't see the point in the Brewers wasting this kind of potential collecting video game stats in Huntsville.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am
by jdsun1
hett2333 wrote:Does this guy really need to spend the entire year in the minors taking softball batting practice? Through last nights game
AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.342 31 111 28 38 10 1 10 36 80 16 19 0 0 .436 721 1.157

If he keeps hitting at this rate, any thoughts on LaPorta forcing someone out of their spot this year? Hall, Hart, etc? I just don't see the point in the Brewers wasting this kind of potential collecting video game stats in Huntsville.


I think he is there more for defenseive purposes more than anything, but blowing my waiver on scherzer I think Im happy he is still there right now. Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am
by raiders_umpire
jdsun1 wrote: Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.




The Brewers can't handle 162 games of Braun at 3rd base defensively. All of the good things he can do at the plate would be wiped out on the defensive side. As far as LaPorta goes though, there is not a spot for him in Milwaukee with Fielder, Braun, and Hart already locked into spots, so you may see him become trade bait later in this year or this offseason to upgrade a weaker area for the Brewers.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 am
by Havok1517
raiders_umpire wrote:
jdsun1 wrote: Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.




The Brewers can't handle 162 games of Braun at 3rd base defensively. All of the good things he can do at the plate would be wiped out on the defensive side. As far as LaPorta goes though, there is not a spot for him in Milwaukee with Fielder, Braun, and Hart already locked into spots, so you may see him become trade bait later in this year or this offseason to upgrade a weaker area for the Brewers.


Cameron is only signed through this year. Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am
by The Cow
The Brewers OF is crowded. Braun in LF, Hart in RF both of those guys are safe. Then you have Cameron in CF his job is secure. On the bench you have a hot Gabe Kaplar and is Tony Gwynn Jr. still with the big club? If LaPorta could play CF then maybe he could displace Cameron, but LaPorta is not a CF I believe. Hart still only has one HR, but is hitting over .300. I do not see Braun being moved back to 3B, he is actually turning into a pretty good defensive LF, no way they put him back at 3B he just is not talented enough with the glove. Often when there is a log jam at a position one guy learns to play 1B, but the Brewers have Fielder, so no need there. I guess its times like these when the Brewers wish they were back in the A.L., that way they could DH a LaPorta. What the Brewers could do is trade a Hart or LaPorta for a closer, I suppose since that looks to be their biggest need or perhaps a SP with Gallardo out.

The Cow

P.S. One other option is Hart to CF, I figure he could be about as good as Nick Swisher, that would open up a spot for LaPorta. Cameron is not in the long term plans, but he has a nice glove.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 am
by clevername
Havok1517 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
jdsun1 wrote: Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.




The Brewers can't handle 162 games of Braun at 3rd base defensively. All of the good things he can do at the plate would be wiped out on the defensive side. As far as LaPorta goes though, there is not a spot for him in Milwaukee with Fielder, Braun, and Hart already locked into spots, so you may see him become trade bait later in this year or this offseason to upgrade a weaker area for the Brewers.


Cameron is only signed through this year. Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.


that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am
by Yoda
clevername wrote:Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.


that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.[/quote]

In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 am
by jlm53089
Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.


that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.


In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.[/quote]

One big slow OF.

I like LaPorta since he was at UF, I hope he succeeds and if the Brew Crew cannot find a spot for him, he could come to Tampa and play for Pena after Penas time is gone. ;-D

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 pm
by RAmst23
Braun could still improve in LF, but that OF will tax your pitching staff. An error on the IF usually means one base, and OFer mistake can turn into an extra 2-3 bases. Be interesting if that much offense could make up for poor defensive play.

Re: Matt LaPorta

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:43 pm
by Sea Dog Fan
jlm53089 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.


that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.


In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.


One big slow OF.

I like LaPorta since he was at UF, I hope he succeeds and if the Brew Crew cannot find a spot for him, he could come to Tampa and play for Pena after Penas time is gone. ;-D[/quote]

No! :-t

You guys have enough young talent, I'm cutting you off.

LaPorta is a beast and will probably be a top five prospect going into next year. I doubt Braun goes back to third because he's awful defensively.

On a related note, the Red Sox should've signed him.