Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Price ETA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:43 pm

One thing that some were suggesting is that the Rays didn't need to rush him with guys like Jacob McGee and Wade Davis ahead of him in the organization. I think that McGee going down with the Tommy John issue, and Price being way more impressive than Davis right now, make it more likely we see Price this year.
Last edited by Guaranteed Loser on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 261
(Past Year: -2)
Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:47 pm

Yeah, I think he'll get a callup in Sept. at the lastest. If nothing else to get some peeps in the seats
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8457
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price ETA

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:47 pm

I'd say it's pretty likely Price gets a September call up. As long as the Rays don't free fall, which it looks like they won't at this point. So they will need everything they can get from a pitching stand point to try and with stand the Sox/Yanks challenge. Like has been said McGee having TJ and Davis struggling some helps out Price quite a bit. I'm starting to believe more in Garza, but Sonny and Edwin still scare me down the road. Price could be a better #4 and if they need to limit innings put him in the bull pen for a great relief arm (though he pitched 133IP last year so he should be fine for the most part).

Oh and yeah I think the Rays are getting fans for their record these days, not a pub stunt by calling up a #1 pick. :-b

BTW I saw Price's last start and whoever said he is the most impressive pitcher he has seen well, he hasn't watched much baseball at all. He looked good especially against Schafer but he still needs to work on some things.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 6079
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 26 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: miles away from the unordinary

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Yeah, I think he'll get a callup in Sept. at the lastest. If nothing else to get some peeps in the seats


There are people coming to the games already. I went on Monday and it was a sell out. Yes, it was Boston and there were a lot of Sox fans, but there were more Rays fans than Sox fans at the game, which was awesome ;-D


I actually heard on ESPN Radio that there were more Sox fans than Rays fans during the 3 game series.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8457
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am

Havok1517 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Yeah, I think he'll get a callup in Sept. at the lastest. If nothing else to get some peeps in the seats


There are people coming to the games already. I went on Monday and it was a sell out. Yes, it was Boston and there were a lot of Sox fans, but there were more Rays fans than Sox fans at the game, which was awesome ;-D


I actually heard on ESPN Radio that there were more Sox fans than Rays fans during the 3 game series.


You mean the same ESPN radio station based in New England? That is a shocker.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: David Price ETA

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am

Havok1517 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Yeah, I think he'll get a callup in Sept. at the lastest. If nothing else to get some peeps in the seats


There are people coming to the games already. I went on Monday and it was a sell out. Yes, it was Boston and there were a lot of Sox fans, but there were more Rays fans than Sox fans at the game, which was awesome ;-D


I actually heard on ESPN Radio that there were more Sox fans than Rays fans during the 3 game series.




You definitely heard wrong.


As far as Price for this year, I think we may see him in the majors this year possibly as a left hander for the bullpen especially if the Rays stay in the playoff race.
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 26995
(Past Year: -786)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:19 am

raiders_umpire wrote:As far as Price for this year, I think we may see him in the majors this year possibly as a left hander for the bullpen especially if the Rays stay in the playoff race.


Yeah I am very high on this kid (drafted him in my keeper team) but he's had some issues this year. But if he is dominating in the minors then it might be time to challenge him. If not for injuries then he would have been the left handed version of Lincecum this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21191
(Past Year: -153)
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: David Price ETA

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:As far as Price for this year, I think we may see him in the majors this year possibly as a left hander for the bullpen especially if the Rays stay in the playoff race.


Yeah I am very high on this kid (drafted him in my keeper team) but he's had some issues this year. But if he is dominating in the minors then it might be time to challenge him. If not for injuries then he would have been the left handed version of Lincecum this year.


I could be wrong, but I usually lefties take a longer time to develop for some reason. Usually it takes lefties 3 years to hit their stride in the majors whereas a righty can be solid almost immediately.

I don't know how much water that idea holds, it is just something that I have heard. Liriano certainly didn't take a year to develop when he hit the majors 2 years ago.
Image
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 338
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests