Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran batting #2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Beltran batting #2

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:51 pm

I've heard Beltran is batting second. This has to bump him down to at least the end of the first round.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby justinA » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:01 pm

yup, behind Berroa. Berroa, if he can prove last season was not a fluke (which i think it was) should get on base enuf for some run production, but if not, Beltran's value will fall. Cuz just think at the bottom of the order, Guiel and Santiago. Beltrans success hinges on Berroa IMO.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fumbler » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:03 pm

That wouldn't bother me any. He truly only has to hit in the 2 spot the first time through the order. After that it's all random anyways.

If anything i think it makes him more valuable because he'll get a bit more at-bats. ;-D
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby justinA » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:06 pm

Fumbler wrote:That wouldn't bother me any. He truly only has to hit in the 2 spot the first time through the order. After that it's all random anyways.

If anything i think it makes him more valuable because he'll get a bit more at-bats. ;-D

no way it will make him more valuable. The ideal situation I think would be to have Berroa lead off, hit Randa 2nd, and then Beltran 3rd. Randa is a good enough hitter, and smart eunf hitter to get on base more often than Berroa, either via hit, or walk. He's a veteran of 9 years and will be a lot more crafty in getting on base during slumps, unlike the free swinging Berroa. And yes ur right, it is random after the first time, but look who he has got in the 8 and 9 hole, Guiel and Santiago........... :-t
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fumbler » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:13 pm

LOL, one spot up in the batting order is NOT going to make that much of a difference where it negatively impacts his value.

You might argue that his RBI's will be less, but his at-bats will increase, he will score more runs, and he will steal more bases.

Either way, it's pretty trivial IMHO. If you want to move him down in your rankings, feel free. /shrug
Fumbler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:37 pm

The difference between Randa and Berroa's OBA isn't much. Beltran will have more AB's, and less guys clogging up the basepaths ahead of him. #2 is better for steals and runs. I don't see this as a huge deal. It's not set in stone that it will be like this all season anyway.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby gypsyspot » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:50 pm

I don't think it really hurts his value either. He is still one of the best power speed combos in the game. If it helps his steals it could even increase his value.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:00 pm

Saying that a guy only bats 2nd (or leadoff, or whatever) once during a game is a fallacy. I don't have the statistics handy, but because the #7, 8 and 9 hitters are statistically more likely to make outs than any other hitters, they are each progressively more likely to make the last out of an inning. Because of this, a leadoff hitter will leadoff an inning more than once per game, on average.

In addition, a player's place in the batting order is also relevant because of the hitters before and after him. So, it's inaccurate to say it won't affect his value because he only bats there once a game.

On the other hand, the increase in SB and R potential probably offsets the decrease in RBI potential.

So really, the only thing I wanted to do was rant about the baseball cliche that a guy "only leads off once a game". B-)
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -165)

Postby titanut » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:23 pm

I can't imagine batting second would move him to the bottom of the
first round. Soriano as a leadoff hitter was and is a top 3 pick,
and I don't see that much difference between the 2 other than
positional scarcity. In my mind, it's still between Beltran and Helton
for the # 5 pick, which I have. Thoughts?
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby ondeckb » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:01 pm

titanut wrote:I can't imagine batting second would move him to the bottom of the
first round. Soriano as a leadoff hitter was and is a top 3 pick,
and I don't see that much difference between the 2 other than
positional scarcity. In my mind, it's still between Beltran and Helton
for the # 5 pick, which I have. Thoughts?

Beltran is going to have a monster contract year!! ;-D
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers