Return to Baseball Leftovers

Atkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Atkins

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
sandman042 wrote:If Atkins does get tarded without a doubt his numbers will go down.

True. If Atkins gets the Down Syndrome all of a sudden he'll probably lose a bit on a few things.

Had to say it.

Nicely done, sir. :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby dipset » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:53 pm

I dont think coors makes as big a deal as people say....Ball doesnt travel their like it used too plus that field is pretty dam big...390 in the left center gap?? come one thats huge, go play in baltimore where it is 360 in the gap...atkins will rake anywhere he goes..nuff said
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Rollotommasi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 pm

dipset wrote:I dont think coors makes as big a deal as people say....Ball doesnt travel their like it used too plus that field is pretty dam big...390 in the left center gap?? come one thats huge, go play in baltimore where it is 360 in the gap...atkins will rake anywhere he goes..nuff said

yeah nuff said....i wonder if people make some research or just post at-random......... :-/

2005:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/714 ... pe=Batting
0.339 home
0.238 away

2006:
0.346 home
0.313 away

2007:
0.349 home
0.254 away

2008:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/714 ... I6rpGFCLcF
0.342 home
0.259 away

nuff said........
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:30 pm

Rollotommasi wrote:yeah nuff said....i wonder if people make some research or just post at-random......... :-/

Yeah a lot of people don't apparently.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:54 pm

Yoda wrote:
Rollotommasi wrote:yeah nuff said....i wonder if people make some research or just post at-random......... :-/

Ok, so Atkins is a better hitter at home than on the road. However, we don't know if that's because of Coors or because he's just more comfortable at home, maybe his body doesn't do well with traveling, or something dumb. I would bet that it is Coors; because Coors is so big, it helps BA because outfielders have to play back farther.

I agree; I think it is Coors. But the bottom line is, we don't know that it is Coors, so opinions on either side of the fence could be valid...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:00 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Ok, so Atkins is a better hitter at home than on the road. However, we don't know if that's because of Coors or because he's just more comfortable at home, maybe his body doesn't do well with traveling, or something dumb. I would bet that it is Coors; because Coors is so big, it helps BA because outfielders have to play back farther.

I agree; I think it is Coors. But the bottom line is, we don't know that it is Coors, so opinions on either side of the fence could be valid...

More runs scored there than an average park = hitters park. It's not rocket science.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Yoda wrote:
More runs scored there than an average park = hitters park. It's not rocket science.

OK, but we also can't post Atkins road stats and necessarily say "That's what he is without Coors". He probably takes a hit due to leaving Coors, agreed, but I'm not sure if he drops to being a .300 hitter or a .270 hitter. That would require a much more detailed analysis than simply a "he becomes what his road splits are". For the recored, in the last 3 years, the Rockies get and allow about 1.1 times as many hits at home as they do on the road. That would drop Atkins' home batting average to about .310 or so. Looking at the NL West road ballparks, they are pretty much average in terms of allowing hits (but not in terms of allowing HRs). What we end up with here is a gap between Atkins' home BA and road BA that cannot be easily explained by Coors. Therefore, there is a legitimate conjecture to be made that for some reason or another (not ballpark) that Atkins hits better at home than on the road.

My point: Atkins' batting average is not .260-.270 without Coors. It's probably closer to .290 or .300.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby dipset » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Yoda wrote:

umm maybe its becuase he's comfortable at home with the home crowd? I dont think he is magically better becuase he is hitting at a certain field...I dont think linedrives to center for singles all of a sudden are not line hits somewhere else...Or for some reason he just happens to see the ball much better at home...Just like in the NBA playoffs, you play better at home...the hoop is no different your ability to play the game does not change...its where you feel comfortable. I dont think atkins will turn into a below average hitter if he is traded...The splits mean nothing becuase he is not a 300 hitter just becuase of the field he plays at, might be the dumbest thing i have ever heard
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:03 pm

dipset wrote:The splits mean nothing becuase he is not a 300 hitter just becuase of the field he plays at, might be the dumbest thing i have ever heard

First of all, I never said he wasn't a .300 hitter away from Coors. Second of all, splits mean nothing? Really? Look at some guys who inflated their value in Coors like Preston Wilson and Dante Bichette. Granted they were pre-humidor but there is a reason why offensive numbers are greatly exaggerated in Coors.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dipset » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
dipset wrote:The splits mean nothing becuase he is not a 300 hitter just becuase of the field he plays at, might be the dumbest thing i have ever heard

First of all, I never said he wasn't a .300 hitter away from Coors. Second of all, splits mean nothing? Really? Look at some guys who inflated their value in Coors like Preston Wilson and Dante Bichette. Granted they were pre-humidor but there is a reason why offensive numbers are greatly exaggerated in Coors.

True i just dont see atkins losing much if he went to another team...I have seen him hit many times and he is line drive hitter..I dont think that will change at another park. Just the way i see it
dipset
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers