Return to Baseball Leftovers

Has anyone here had Tommy John?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Has anyone here had Tommy John?

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Tons of baseball fans here, odds are we have a lot of players/ex-players.

Has anyone had Tommy John surgery who can tell me what their pain was like that signaled a tear of the UCL?

A few weeks ago I felt some pain in my elbow while throwing, so I shut myself down for a while figuring it might just be tendinitis or something, because I've never really had any arm injuries my whole life. Today I picked up a baseball again for the first time since. I felt the pain again, and was only able to "throw" 4 balls at about 10 MPH. Now I don't feel any pain doing ANYTHING else in my day to day life, which I think is odd. i can even replicate my throwing motion with nothing in my hand (or a towel) and not feel any pain, but as soon as I put a ball in my hand - it feels like my arm is going to snap in half at the elbow.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Has anyone here had Tommy John?

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Ouch, that sounds like it sucks. Check out Webmd maybe?
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jacoby-Ellsbury.shtml
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=24
http://twitter.com/#!/baseballcafe
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fantasy-Baseball-Cafe/117034715055181?sk=wall
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1076)

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:27 am

are u a pitcher still for school or anything? I pitch for college and i was in like the second inning and i felt a sharp sting in my elbow. i let it go for the next few days and it never bothered me but once i threw it was there. It turned out i have a bone spur in my elbow so the throwing motion is causeing bone-bone so im shut down and doing pt but if it hurts later ill be gettin it removed is any of this like what u got? I would agree going to the docter i put it off for about a year and stuck with the pain wish i hadnt now :-° hope this helps i hate arms :-b
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:35 am

DbacksRback wrote:are u a pitcher still for school or anything? I pitch for college and i was in like the second inning and i felt a sharp sting in my elbow. i let it go for the next few days and it never bothered me but once i threw it was there. It turned out i have a bone spur in my elbow so the throwing motion is causeing bone-bone so im shut down and doing pt but if it hurts later ill be gettin it removed is any of this like what u got? I would agree going to the docter i put it off for about a year and stuck with the pain wish i hadnt now :-° hope this helps i hate arms :-b

I was a pitcher for 11 years and just quit after making the club team here at OSU last year. I still throw regularly because it is my favorite way to relax.

I wouldn't really describe the pain when I'm throwing as stinging. It sort of feel like someone hit the bone on the inside of my elbow with a blunt instrument. All the pain is located on the inside, and it lasts for 5-10 seconds after throwing.

Last night when I went to bed, I was just laying there are had a few weird stinging sensations go from my elbow all the way down to my fingers. I was not moving at all, it was just happening.

I'll probably get it checked out sometime next week, but if it is anything that require any surgical repair I probably won't get it done because it doesn't effect my day to day life. Hopefully it's just something that I can strengthen up with some elastic tube work or something.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby socceryank » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:24 am

I would not be so quick to rule out a tear of the UCL (ulnar collateral ligament), as some others here have suggested. With a tear of this ligament, the only time it will typically cause problems is with throwing, because the throwing motion is the one activity that places a significant amount of stress to that ligament. I have rarely had a baseball player complain of pain or problems with normal, every day activities; it is usually only with throwing.

Many times, the ulnar nerve (which is the nerve that runs down the inside part of the elbow, and is referred to as the "funny bone" when you hit it) can become highly irritated with tears of the UCL, which would explain the tingling sensation down into your fingers. If the fingers that are affected are your ring and pinkie, that would confirm that the ulnar nerve is affected.

The only thing that makes me believe you may not have a tear of the UCL is the fact that it doesn't seem as if you are throwing as hard or as much as you used to during your playing days, which would probably not place as much stress on your ligament.

If you go see an orthopedist (as you should; not just your GP), make sure you go to the one that treats the baseball players at your college, or local minor league team. A tear of the UCL is very difficult to detect, and unless it is an orthopedist that sees a lot of them, will probably be misdiagnosed. If you don't plan on having surgery in any event, then ask to see a physical therapist for some exercises to keep the elbow strong.

One last thing to consider. As we age, the rotator cuff becomes weaker. As a result, players tend to alter their mechanics while throwing, and end up placing more stress on the elbow, and UCL. It is possible that this occurred with you as well, so be sure to have the therapist get you on a good rotator cuff strengthening program.

Sorry if this is TMI. I have been a therapist in the sports medicine field for 14 years, and work with a very prominent physician in the field, so you can be assured the info I provided is not just from some random guy off the street! :-)
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:25 pm

socceryank wrote:I would not be so quick to rule out a tear of the UCL (ulnar collateral ligament), as some others here have suggested. With a tear of this ligament, the only time it will typically cause problems is with throwing, because the throwing motion is the one activity that places a significant amount of stress to that ligament. I have rarely had a baseball player complain of pain or problems with normal, every day activities; it is usually only with throwing.

Many times, the ulnar nerve (which is the nerve that runs down the inside part of the elbow, and is referred to as the "funny bone" when you hit it) can become highly irritated with tears of the UCL, which would explain the tingling sensation down into your fingers. If the fingers that are affected are your ring and pinkie, that would confirm that the ulnar nerve is affected.

The only thing that makes me believe you may not have a tear of the UCL is the fact that it doesn't seem as if you are throwing as hard or as much as you used to during your playing days, which would probably not place as much stress on your ligament.

If you go see an orthopedist (as you should; not just your GP), make sure you go to the one that treats the baseball players at your college, or local minor league team. A tear of the UCL is very difficult to detect, and unless it is an orthopedist that sees a lot of them, will probably be misdiagnosed. If you don't plan on having surgery in any event, then ask to see a physical therapist for some exercises to keep the elbow strong.

One last thing to consider. As we age, the rotator cuff becomes weaker. As a result, players tend to alter their mechanics while throwing, and end up placing more stress on the elbow, and UCL. It is possible that this occurred with you as well, so be sure to have the therapist get you on a good rotator cuff strengthening program.

Sorry if this is TMI. I have been a therapist in the sports medicine field for 14 years, and work with a very prominent physician in the field, so you can be assured the info I provided is not just from some random guy off the street! :-)

Uh... perfect post.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby DbacksRback » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:39 pm

socceryank put it great is it inside your elbow or on the outer sides. My problem was what felt like a hyper-extension of the elbow and it hurt around the back of the elbow. It turned out my arm is missing about 15 degrees of extension because of the spur.
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:11 pm

socceryank wrote:I would not be so quick to rule out a tear of the UCL (ulnar collateral ligament), as some others here have suggested. With a tear of this ligament, the only time it will typically cause problems is with throwing, because the throwing motion is the one activity that places a significant amount of stress to that ligament. I have rarely had a baseball player complain of pain or problems with normal, every day activities; it is usually only with throwing.

This is about all the info I could ask for. You win at the internet sir.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers