Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby NorthSider2 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:10 am

I have always wondered why fans say "ya we really killed you guys last game" or "Who did you guys get in the trade, we got Soriano"

Where did We come from? I, myself have used when talking baseball but i don't get it. We are not on the team so how can we say We to refer to our favorite team?

Anyone care to explain why we do that :-)
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Howie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:27 am

Probably just a sense of belonging to your team.

Plus, if I'm going to spend $8 on a beer then i damn well better have the right to refer to my team as "we." ;-D
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Xtreemes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:39 am

It's the 10th man thing. As a fan you ride the highs and lows with the team, you care almost as much as the players after wins and losses (sometimes more than some players), you help make the home field advantage. Fans earn the right to refer to their team as "We". I know I certainly do it all the time.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:44 pm

Pretty much what everyone has said. If you patronize the team (go to games, buy merchandise) and you have a legitimate allegiance to your team, you are a fan of that team.

Extrapolating on those points, being a fan of a team is a community thing, one that sometimes is quite understated. The team you root for is part of the local community whereas the local fans make up part of that community and to a more global extent, you have fans who then become part of that. There's a "we" element in all that really.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby DSheppard » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:32 pm

i know you arnt really criticizing it, but people actually criticizing others for saying "we" about a sports team is a pet peeve of mine.

Its a group I actively back with both time and money. Fans are kind of a necessity.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it. Definitely a pet peeve, for whatever reason. I fully understand the reasons that have been stated, about the emotional attachment to a team through die hard support, love, a sense of unity and belonging and all that. But at the end of the day, you're not a part of the team or the organization. You're a supporter, maybe the best supporter of all, but you're not a team or organizational member -- you make no contribution other than a slim fiscal one through your support, which, for my money, still doesn't include you as part of what they have going on. I know, I know, "they couldn't operate without their fans" -- I get it. Hell, I even slip and use the 'we' on occasion, but it's just a pet peeve of mine, especially when you've got people saying things like "we beat you" to a friend when neither party partook any further in the game beyond watching it on television.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby soty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:20 pm

Xtreemes wrote:It's the 10th man thing. As a fan you ride the highs and lows with the team, you care almost as much as the players after wins and losses (sometimes more than some players), you help make the home field advantage. Fans earn the right to refer to their team as "We". I know I certainly do it all the time.
Well said I agree 100%. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
(Past Year: -154)

Postby great gretzky » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:53 pm

if the team itself is going to play into tribalism by playing into the "Red Sox Nation," "Phillies Community," etc., in the marketing strategy, then I think it's ok. Especially since the teams are there for the community, not the other way around. When you factor in that its the fans who make this viable, why can't it be "we"?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby Third Day » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:12 pm

In Milwaukee we're paying for Miller Park, so....
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers