Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it. Definitely a pet peeve, for whatever reason. I fully understand the reasons that have been stated, about the emotional attachment to a team through die hard support, love, a sense of unity and belonging and all that. But at the end of the day, you're not a part of the team or the organization. You're a supporter, maybe the best supporter of all, but you're not a team or organizational member -- you make no contribution other than a slim fiscal one through your support, which, for my money, still doesn't include you as part of what they have going on. I know, I know, "they couldn't operate without their fans" -- I get it. Hell, I even slip and use the 'we' on occasion, but it's just a pet peeve of mine, especially when you've got people saying things like "we beat you" to a friend when neither party partook any further in the game beyond watching it on television.


I'm sure the hot dog vendors have a say in approving/rejecting trade deadline deals, no? :-b

I think most fans understand they're not a part of the organization nor do they have an actual share in the organization, as I'm sure they're aware that it's not them actually doing the business on the field. That doesn't mean the fans can't be stakeholders when in fact they are the most important stakeholders in the club, just like any business can't survive without customers and their primary aim should be to make themselves marketable enough to get customers through the door. So, there is an element of "we" at play.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21871
(Past Year: 370)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it.


It's weird. I don't really get annoyed by fans of said team using "we" but I get pretty annoyed when announcers, broadcasters use it. I don't notice it too much from the Phils booth but I was out of town a few weeks ago and caught a Rockies/White Sox game on TV and was pretty annoyed at the Sox announcers.
Image

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 8664
(Past Year: -271)
Joined: 6 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halladay Season

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:04 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it. Definitely a pet peeve, for whatever reason. I fully understand the reasons that have been stated, about the emotional attachment to a team through die hard support, love, a sense of unity and belonging and all that. But at the end of the day, you're not a part of the team or the organization. You're a supporter, maybe the best supporter of all, but you're not a team or organizational member -- you make no contribution other than a slim fiscal one through your support, which, for my money, still doesn't include you as part of what they have going on. I know, I know, "they couldn't operate without their fans" -- I get it. Hell, I even slip and use the 'we' on occasion, but it's just a pet peeve of mine, especially when you've got people saying things like "we beat you" to a friend when neither party partook any further in the game beyond watching it on television.


I'm sure the hot dog vendors have a say in approving/rejecting trade deadline deals, no? :-b

I think most fans understand they're not a part of the organization nor do they have an actual share in the organization, as I'm sure they're aware that it's not them actually doing the business on the field. That doesn't mean the fans can't be stakeholders when in fact they are the most important stakeholders in the club, just like any business can't survive without customers and their primary aim should be to make themselves marketable enough to get customers through the door. So, there is an element of "we" at play.

I agree 100% with the fact of fans being stakeholders, the most important even, and the survival of the club being dependent on them. I will never try and argue the contrary. I just draw the line closer than other people do, when using the Royal 'we', and have no problem referring to the Mets as 'they'; because, in my mind, I didn't win yesterday, they did. I enjoyed taking part in watching 'them' win, in whatever capacity it was, supporting them tooth and nail. As I said, I have no idea why I'm not a fan of the terminology (which is more accurate than my original statement that I get annoyed by it -- that's overstating), but I'm just not, and understand that I'm certainly in the minority on this, and would never 'correct' someone for using the 'we'.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24931
(Past Year: 376)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Third Day » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm

smoovethug wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it.


It's weird. I don't really get annoyed by fans of said team using "we" but I get pretty annoyed when announcers, broadcasters use it. I don't notice it too much from the Phils booth but I was out of town a few weeks ago and caught a Rockies/White Sox game on TV and was pretty annoyed at the Sox announcers.


That was the only thing that annoyed you about Sox's announcers?
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2105
(Past Year: 33)
Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Spiritual World or Milwaukee (I commute)

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Old_Style » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Third Day wrote:
smoovethug wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it.


It's weird. I don't really get annoyed by fans of said team using "we" but I get pretty annoyed when announcers, broadcasters use it. I don't notice it too much from the Phils booth but I was out of town a few weeks ago and caught a Rockies/White Sox game on TV and was pretty annoyed at the Sox announcers.


That was the only thing that annoyed you about Sox's announcers?


Alright, alright. Let's get back on topic here. :-D
Image
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6667
(Past Year: -218)
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the last neighborhood corner tavern

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I don't criticize people for using 'we' though I do internally get annoyed by it. Definitely a pet peeve, for whatever reason. I fully understand the reasons that have been stated, about the emotional attachment to a team through die hard support, love, a sense of unity and belonging and all that. But at the end of the day, you're not a part of the team or the organization. You're a supporter, maybe the best supporter of all, but you're not a team or organizational member -- you make no contribution other than a slim fiscal one through your support, which, for my money, still doesn't include you as part of what they have going on. I know, I know, "they couldn't operate without their fans" -- I get it. Hell, I even slip and use the 'we' on occasion, but it's just a pet peeve of mine, especially when you've got people saying things like "we beat you" to a friend when neither party partook any further in the game beyond watching it on television.


I'm sure the hot dog vendors have a say in approving/rejecting trade deadline deals, no? :-b

I think most fans understand they're not a part of the organization nor do they have an actual share in the organization, as I'm sure they're aware that it's not them actually doing the business on the field. That doesn't mean the fans can't be stakeholders when in fact they are the most important stakeholders in the club, just like any business can't survive without customers and their primary aim should be to make themselves marketable enough to get customers through the door. So, there is an element of "we" at play.

I agree 100% with the fact of fans being stakeholders, the most important even, and the survival of the club being dependent on them. I will never try and argue the contrary. I just draw the line closer than other people do, when using the Royal 'we', and have no problem referring to the Mets as 'they'; because, in my mind, I didn't win yesterday, they did. I enjoyed taking part in watching 'them' win, in whatever capacity it was, supporting them tooth and nail. As I said, I have no idea why I'm not a fan of the terminology (which is more accurate than my original statement that I get annoyed by it -- that's overstating), but I'm just not, and understand that I'm certainly in the minority on this, and would never 'correct' someone for using the 'we'.



I have the same pet peeve, H0rt, and I have since I was a kid -- not sure why, really.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2074
(Past Year: -5)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rays Country

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:05 pm

IMO it's a bit like people referring to their country as "we". I know people in Canada and Europe and whenever I talk about what America has done, e.g. invade Iraq, I say it along the lines of "when we invaded Iraq blah blah." Or in the Olympics, "we won the bronze medal." My friends in Canada Europe do the same thing when talking about their respective countries. That mentality is the same in my eyes as people referring to their local sports team.

What really pisses me off is when people root for teams to lose in other games that aren't versus the team my friends and I are cheering for. E.g. last year in the playoffs we were watching the Colts vs Chargers (we are Patriots fans) and one of my friends wanted the Colts to win because he felt they were an easier match up with their weaker defense and not having Tomlinson. He would get mad when "we" (read: Peyton Manning) threw incomplete passes, or saying things like "how could we not stop Gates going over the middle" and "I can't believe we punted on that drive". I understand him wanting to play one team instead of another, but I was ready to break a beer bottle on his head if he kept letting Peyton Manning of all people be a part of "us".
JasonSeahorn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 197
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:40 pm

It's the whole "I am better than you because of my team" aspect that makes it a pet peeve for me too. It's especially prevalent on the Internet (because you don't risk getting knocked in the grill :-D).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Amazinz wrote:It's the whole "I am better than you because of my team" aspect that makes it a pet peeve for me too. It's especially prevalent on the Internet (because you don't risk getting knocked in the grill :-D).

Is there anything better than including the 'we' on things that pre-date peoples' own births?

"We've won 26 championships; how many have you won?"

Please, I dare somebody to tell me that isn't annoying... B-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24931
(Past Year: 376)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

cron