Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby NorthSider2 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Yea i agree with most of you. I get that you want to belong to your favorite team. i sometimes use it but its probably my biggest pet peeve. But hey We are the best team in baseball :-D ;-) ;-D
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Whenever I see Dustin Pedroia get a hit, I say "Did you see that hit we just got?" Because short people are my peeps. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:Whenever I see Dustin Pedroia get a hit, I say "Did you see that hit we just got?" Because short people are my peeps. :-D

But seriously, how far can it go? Can I say that We got beat last night, because I'm a fan of Rampage Jackson? I paid for the PPV, so I'm supporting him financially. Is he different from a team?

And if 'we' are winning these championships, why the heck don't 'we' ever get a ring? :-C
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:34 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Whenever I see Dustin Pedroia get a hit, I say "Did you see that hit we just got?" Because short people are my peeps. :-D

But seriously, how far can it go? Can I say that We got beat last night, because I'm a fan of Rampage Jackson? I paid for the PPV, so I'm supporting him financially. Is he different from a team?

If you bet for Rampage last night, then you lost. :-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 am

I've been reflecting on this for a bit and I'm going to say this from a European standpoint, but American sports culture tends to have a different way of looking upon sports identity. There's an undeniable sense of community with a club and to a further extent, a collective ownership in America, but I think there's a more concrete awareness that the club is a business and like a business, it has its owner(s) that actually hold equity to say that they're an owner of the club to some extent. In Europe and elsewhere, they tend to believe that the community and the club have a sacred two-way relationship where one can't be without the other and vice versa. In short, there's an entitled stewardship that the community feels they have over club and such stewardship is passed along to the next generation. When such stewardship is violated to some point, the community retaliates.

Take for example the way Manchester United fans reacted to Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Malcolm Glazer buying United with a heavily leveraged buyout more than 3 years ago. Most United fans were extremely hostile towards it, protesting heavily, even to the point where some fans had enough and started their own soccer club, FC United of Manchester. They felt their tradition, their history had just been sullied by the Glazer takeover and they took massive offense to it. They knew they didn't have power to stop the Glazer takeover even if in their wildest dreams they believed, but they felt they had power because of the element of "we", the element of community, that sacred bond between community and club, and the stewardship that comes from it. Contrast this to when Frank McCourt bought the Los Angeles Dodgers with debt a year before the United Glazer takeover. There were some protests and a good portion of Dodger fans aren't fond of McCourt (I hate him personally and I've boycotted buying Dodger products since), but Dodger fans didn't use the kind of power they had as patrons or stewards because they don't see themselves in that role.

Not saying that United fans are better and much more loyal than Dodger fans and I'm certainly not saying that American fans aren't as passionate as fans from the rest of the world, but I just think the view of the relationship between community and club is different. Another example is FC Barcelona. In Catalunya where the people think they should be independent from Spain, FC Barcelona was more than a club (El Barca es mes que un club), it resembled an entire nation, the effort for Catalunya to be wholly autonomous from Spain. This is also reflected by the fact that there's no majority owner of Barcelona and in fact there are about a quarter of a million shareholders in Barcelona (my uncle included) and for me, I could feel that I, my father, my uncle, and my family who support for El Barca are supporting something that reflects us, who we are as a people, as Catalans.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:40 am

"Pople" use the term we because they have (usually) put in enough emotional investment to feel they are a part of proceedings.

My teams have always been "we" to me, I can't imagine that not being the case.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -37)

Postby Bogey9906 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 am

Now that I think about it, I only use "we" when referring to my alma mater in college sports, but not for the pro teams that I follow. There's a stronger connection for me to my college and it seems like less of a business than pro sports.

Since I don't live in the area of my favorite pro teams (in San Diego, but not a Padres or Chargers fan), I don't get that community feel for my pro teams. But for college games, getting together at a sports bar with the alumni club gives a real community feel and using 'we' just seems natural. Especially since we're all 2,000 miles from campus (Illinois), it feels like we're all in it together. Go Illini!
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Third Day » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:31 am

I guess Packer fans can say we because a lot of them do own the team.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:56 am

I just think that "we" connotes an emotional investment that most of us have in our favorite team. I don't use "we" constantly, but I definitely use it. I know I am not a member of the Ravens, but when they play Pittsburgh or Oakland you better believe that I tell my friends that "we beat you".
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:41 am

I think it's different when you are talking about single-person sports. You can only really be a fan of them for the duration of their career. But when it comes to "we" I root for guys wearing Phillies and Eagles Jerseys, not the specific person, so I don't think "we" is as good when its a boxer, tennis player, fighter, etc. You can be a fan of a team longer than any one player could be on it. So in some ways, i would think fans could have a bigger connection to the team than the players themselves. Imagine the case of the Sox before they won.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers