Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:34 pm

bigh0rt you're not the only one. I agree with you 100%. There's nothing more annoying than hearing a fan say "we beat you last night" or "we played great defense." I'm a huge Mets fan, but I don't go using the term "we" when they beat another team, cause frankly, I had no input in the outcome. Its definitely a pet peeve of mine and I'm glad I'm not the only one :-D

PS Amazinz, check your PM's please
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 392
Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby mbuser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:11 pm

it's definitely a polarizing thing. there are some people who can see both sides, but most feel strongly one way or the either. i've always said 'we' and always will. considering it usually applies to geographically-specific teams, it's doubtful that anyone will be saying 'we' when referring to an MMA fighter any time soon
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1249
(Past Year: 73)
Joined: 21 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 pm

I can see how it is annoying when people take credit for achievements to which they made no contribution. Doubly so when they rub it in your face when your team just lost.

To me, though, "we" is not only an appropriate terminology, it is the appropriate terminology. I am often asked: "Who is your team." I don't qualify my response by saying "well, I don't own or play for one, but I'm a fan of..." I just go with it.

We identify ourselves with the teams that we support. Like others have said, it is a pet peeve of mine when people criticize the use of "we." I can understand how it could be annoying in limited situations however.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3163
(Past Year: 86)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Ender » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:45 pm

When the Brewers game starts the announcer says 'Now introducing your Milwaukee Brewers!".

It isn't just a fan thing, the team wants the fans to take some ownership of the team. It builds a tighter fanbase and keeps fans coming to the ballpark.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7705
(Past Year: -28)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:18 pm

Ender wrote:When the Brewers game starts the announcer says 'Now introducing your Milwaukee Brewers!".

It isn't just a fan thing, the team wants the fans to take some ownership of the team. It builds a tighter fanbase and keeps fans coming to the ballpark.



another good point.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3762
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:32 pm

I think "your" and "we" are different. I refer to my team as "my Mets" but that's different than "we kicked your butts."
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18680
(Past Year: -120)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 pm

I think your is more from someone else's vantage point. I would think "my," "me" would inherently be part of "we." It's "your" child, but when speaking of the family, you say "we."
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3762
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think "your" and "we" are different. I refer to my team as "my Mets" but that's different than "we kicked your butts."

Ding ding ding. I'll also call them "my Mets". That's like saying, "my team that I root for." I'm still on the outside, looking in, admiring, and enjoying -- just the way I am. I support the Mets in every way possible, but in no way am I a part of 'we'. I don't win, the Mets do. I enjoy watching the victories, so on and so forth, but aside from my support, fiscally or otherwise, I have zero ownership of them.

CBMGreatOne wrote:To me, though, "we" is not only an appropriate terminology, it is the appropriate terminology. I am often asked: "Who is your team." I don't qualify my response by saying "well, I don't own or play for one, but I'm a fan of..." I just go with it.

"My team [that I root for] is..."
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24931
(Past Year: 376)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Why do pople use We (Referring to "their MLB team"

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I think "your" and "we" are different. I refer to my team as "my Mets" but that's different than "we kicked your butts."

Ding ding ding. I'll also call them "my Mets". That's like saying, "my team that I root for." I'm still on the outside, looking in, admiring, and enjoying -- just the way I am. I support the Mets in every way possible, but in no way am I a part of 'we'. I don't win, the Mets do. I enjoy watching the victories, so on and so forth, but aside from my support, fiscally or otherwise, I have zero ownership of them.

CBMGreatOne wrote:To me, though, "we" is not only an appropriate terminology, it is the appropriate terminology. I am often asked: "Who is your team." I don't qualify my response by saying "well, I don't own or play for one, but I'm a fan of..." I just go with it.

"My team [that I root for] is..."


But "your" almost by definition signifies something more than from a distance. When the teams themselves use terms like "your" and "nation" etc., it is encouraging it. Not to mention the ticket sales aside, the community finances their existence in many instances through taxes etc. I do think it's stupid when people say "we kicked their arse," but a sense of ownership is warranted considering the devotion, not to mention the financial and time treasures expended following and supporting the team.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3762
(Past Year: -7)
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 139 guests

cron